1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If he fell in a cess pit he would come out smelling of roses!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Sep 17, 2020.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I could be that c rap for half the price!

Lidnod, ajrowing and blazer like this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i will bid you down for a quarter of the wage! Gis a job mister!

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Lidnod and phlogiston like this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I suggest the clue is he is an ex-minister,so has contacts with all his political friends for helping in decision making. He doesn't really have to work hard for 7 hours.A bit like the House of Lords occupants who can get attendance allowance for barely being there!

Lidnod likes this.
  6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

But he's still a current MP. It's supposed to be a full time job. Perhaps if he spent more time on it rather than feathering his nest with other jobs he might not have been known as 'Failing' Grayling.

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah yes, but according to the article
    "MPs are allowed to take on second jobs - and while some have argued that representing constituents should be a full time job, others say working in "the real world" keeps members of Parliament grounded in reality."
    So he probably needs this £100,00.00 for a 7 hour week for that grounding in reality.
    And in all fairness, he is probably going to end up going over that on a good will basis anyway, say 8 hours every few weeks or so. So actually it's Hutchison who need to keep perspective-not everybody goes the extra mile, you know, and I hope they realise that!

As for what he has unfortunately come to be known as- well I'm pretty sure with the success of his new role, he will deservedly come to be known in time as "Sailing Grayling" instead. Let's not be so quick to "Dis Chris"!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Most of the top staff at Hutchison Ports seem to be Hong Kong Chinese - the CEO (Gerry Yim Lui Fai) has recently been replaced by Lam Hing Man - so I am not sure old boy networks come into it.

https://hutchisonports.com/en/about-us/management-team/

I suppose it could be argued that the team doesn't follow British politics, I guess, so don't realise what a liability they may have appointed !

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Would be good to see some MPs' second jobs being in areas such as delivering pizzas, doing social care, working behind the till, etc. (Obviously not at the moment, before someone jumps on me!)

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

In which case the old boys are pulling a flanker;)

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm glad you posted that because it made me ask myself, "how do we know what they do anyway?" . It's all well and good reading the news, but we only get the extremes and the scandals. What do other MPs do if, according to paper reports a couple of years ago, one in five are actually in other employment?
    And then had a nosy at this, which I've never actually looked at in much detail before. It makes pretty interesting reading actually, with apologies if you think it's actually a nothing-
    https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmregmem/200901/200901.pdf

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    chelsea2 likes this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I loved the bit in the article where it said that MP's who take other jobs justify it by saying it benefits them to know what work in the real world is like. If they want real world experience then empty bns, work in a care home, deliver KFC on a bike. Taking a job that pays over £300 an hour isn't like the real world!

13. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

It is for those who live in the world of top level finance, politics, media or sport.

14. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

He would come out if the cess pit smelling as you would expect him to smell but he’d tell everyone he smelt of roses.

blazer likes this.