1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If at first you don't succeed, try try again

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Anonymous, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

So apparently Michael Gove is shocked by the number of pupils failing to get a grade C first time round. To be fair, it does surprise me that 75% level 4 at primary does not translate into more Grade C''s t GCSE.
    However he seems to want pupils who fail to get Grade C to do it again. And again. And again.
    There will of course be pupils who struggle but is his ambition realistic or just something else to turn pupils off maths.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

So apparently Michael Gove is shocked by the number of pupils failing to get a grade C first time round. To be fair, it does surprise me that 75% level 4 at primary does not translate into more Grade C''s t GCSE.
    However he seems to want pupils who fail to get Grade C to do it again. And again. And again.
    There will of course be pupils who struggle but is his ambition realistic or just something else to turn pupils off maths.

3. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

An animal won't grow by continually being measured...

4. © ted wragg
    (pause for short but respectful silence)

5. His ambition is just another insight into the vast gulf between him and reality robyn147. How can it be realistic when it's effectively meaningless due to his disconnection?

6. I know that he is a bit dim but surely he has some grasp of the fact that a C grade is meant to represent a certain standard and that ... if everyone could reach it ... it would become a meaningless measure

7. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I knew I'd heard it somewhere. Thanks for tidying up my poorly quoted quotation...!!

Respectful silence, indeed...

8. Then, he is in the right job!
    Perhaps he got his fag to do his prep?