1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If American, would you buy a gun?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DrLinus, Jun 3, 2020.

?

Would you arm yourself with a gun?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    59.4%
  1. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

If you were an American citizen during these nationwide riots would you avail yourself of your country's Second Amendment to arm yourself with a gun and ammunition in order to protect your family, yourself and your property?

Poll above, discussion welcome.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I'd do what my cousin did - once she left university she left the USA and moved to Canada.

7eleven and smoothnewt like this.
  3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

But I would also be happy to agree to background checks, undergoing a training course in firearms handling, keeping it in a lock box etc etc. And if the rules changed, I would be prepared to give up that gun.

WB, abwdSTEM, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

No - I've never had any desire to own a firearm.

5. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

I wouldn't live in America. If I had to, I would want to be armed to give me a fighting chance to defend myself against the police. It's true that they randomly murder white people less than black people, but even so.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I can't vote yes or no in your poll,as the keywords are "if you were an American citizen".
    I do not have the mindset of an American and that second amendment business,so cannot understand why a person would want to own and use a gun. However,if I were American,I might get it.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The problem with guns is they go off.

The results are often not good when they do.

8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Yes, but not because of the rioting.

WB and needabreak like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I have lived both in the US (6 months) and Canada (5 years).

I never really did get used to the fact that virtually every public official in the US carries a gun and I never really felt 100% safe.

In Canada - officials do not carry guns - the philosophy is completely different, there were very few gun deaths, you could go into McDonalds without being shot at.

i NEVER felt threatened by violence in Canada

That's the difference between the two countries.

10. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Having watched the enthusiasm with which some American demographics embrace barbarism I must assume those officials carry guns to feel safe.

Kandahar likes this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Depends on definitions and context.

Where in America? What type of firearm?

If living in New York and a handgun, then no.

If living in a cabin in Alaska and a rifle then yes.

Jamvic, WB, sodalime and 4 others like this.
  12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Is it difficult as it all comes down to living there.

Many years ago I was off to work in Israel and getting on a bus in Tel Aviv quickly went into cold sweats as about 5 teenagers in army uniform boarded and sat among us with Uzi machine guns (loaded) perched on the seat in front of them.

I found it very, very scary.

After a month or so, realising these kids were both army trained and (sadly) war experienced and - crucially - that they were devoid of ego issues (no desire to play hard or scare you) I did, in fact, start to feel very safe.

I probably would buy a gun if living in the USA permanently.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I will say that although the city in America I lived in (Pittsburgh) was not exactly beautiful - virtually all of the people I came across were terrific and I have rarely had more fun than when I was in the Steeler crowd at football games.

People will chat to you in America - I had loads of really interesting conversations in the little restaurant I used to have breakfast in as well.

lexus300 and agathamorse like this.
  14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

No, because you're more likely to be killed or injured by your own gun, or by someone who sees you with it, than you are to be able to use it to defend yourself.

15. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

How long before some Trump-supporting nutter armed with assault rifles takes it into his head to be the all-American hero that puts an end to the protests?

nomad likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

So many children have been killed by their siblings by accident when they found a loaded gun.

It's not a cliche - it really happens.

17. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

No, because the more people who have handguns readily within reach to protect yourself at short notice increases the chance of an accidental shooting. It will also prompt more people to arm themselves meaning more weapons in general circulation.

Would I buy a rifle for target shooting on a range which is kept locked away when not in use? Almost certainly.

agathamorse, Jamvic, WB and 2 others like this.
  18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

There are 36 civilian owned guns per every 100 Canadian citizen, one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world.
    Similar to other gun countries where guns are popular like Finland, and Austria.
    They don't seem to have so many nut jobs shooting up schools and shopping malls though.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The number of unintentional deaths by firearm iN the USA are tiny, but suicide rates by gunshot are extremely high, a far more likely event than a gun owner committing homicide.

20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No.

I'd already have one.

sodalime and bombaysapphire like this.