1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If already working part time when go on maternity leave..

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by scorpio12, Sep 7, 2018.

1. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Could anybody clarify - if I already have a 2.5 contract prior to going on maternity leave is it 13 weeks (working 2 1/2 days of each week) that needs to be done back at work to avoid having to pay back the additional maternity pay or it 13 full weeks you have to do but over a part-time basis. Got a bit confused on the union website so if anybody can clarify that would be great thanks.

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I would say 13 weeks of your current working pattern as that is what your maternity pay will have been based on. But check with your HR department to be sure.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

13 weeks of 2.5 days (if you do a different proportion on return, presumably 32.5 days, however long that takes).

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is usually a good idea to look at the Burgundy Book for such things; union advice is not always accurate. I found the following:

5.2 Where the employer3 agrees, a full-time teacher may return to work on a part-time basis for a period which equates to 13 weeks of full-time service. Similarly, where the employer 3 agrees, a part-time teacher may return to work on a different part-time basis for a period which equates to 13 weeks part-time service relating to her previous contract.

This demonstrates that it is 13 weeks of your normal part time, as @frustum says. It is also worth pointing out that holidays are included in the 13 weeks. So, a teacher could return in time for the May half-term, giving in her notice at this time, and leave at the end of August, getting 13 weeks' service but only actually working for about six of them.

5. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

Thank you everybody for clarifying.