1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If a students asked your advice on becoming a teacher...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 05dan10, Feb 14, 2011.

1. I'd tell em to go for it! i do think most have a "charmed" view of it tho! i knew it warts and all, my mother is a teacher but still went for it and love it. brother eventually became a teacher, sister swore she never would but is now training to be and loves it! poor da!

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

The collective term is actually 'a gripe of teachers'. [​IMG]

3. A student asked me recently if I enjoyed teaching as he was thinking of becoming a teacher and I said I enjoy being in the classroom, helping students to think about the subject and building a rapport with the students. But I also said there are lots of bad points, paperwork, behaviour and the amount of time outside of school I spend actually working.
    What I didn't tell him is that I'm pretty certain that I'm leaving the profession this year, the bad points are outweighing the good points for me, and they have done for several years.

4. sooo sorry

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Having spent 9 years as an accountant, I can confidently say that the good points of teaching outweigh the positives of accountancy (the positive mainly being the cash!). I'm sure things are even worse in that environment given economic changes since I gave it up.
    Send my sympathies to Mr Post Flora. It is good to have it confirmed that I made the right move!