1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If a students asked your advice on becoming a teacher...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 05dan10, Feb 14, 2011.

1. If one of your students was considering becoming a teacher and asked for your advice, if you thought it was a good idea or not, what would you say?
    Today, I was asked this by a really bright Y9 student.
    I told him I loved my job and I thought he would really like it too.
    I'm sure many teachers do not love their jobs!
    Bit of a weird one, but what would you say - go for it or NOOOO?!

2. I would turn it round and ask them to tell me what they thought being a teacher involved, what made them come up with this as a career idea etc etc, and keep my views on the choice to myself!

3. impis

impis New commenter

My teachers told me not to bother applying for teacher training as I would never get in.
    My mom stood over me while I filled in the application form as she didn't beleive them.
    Fortunately, the college agreed with her.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm pretty sure that most of my pupils would think that becoming teachers is beneath them as far as earning power.

5. my daughter, who regularly comes in to help when her holidays permit, wants to be a teacher
    as do/as have several daughters of staff at school, now i come to think of it

6. I have noticed that very often you find familys of teachers!

7. families

8. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Likewise, my daughter- in her final year at Uni.- wants to teach.
    She's already doing some voluntary work in a PRU, and loves it.
    At least she knows the 'warts and all' aspects of the job, she's heard them from me often enough!

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'd say stick with 16+ or HE and deal only with volunteers, not conscripts. Far too much paperwork in Primary, too many difficult kids spoiling things in Secondary. That's what I've advised my eldest anyway.

The basic job of teaching KS1-4 (as in advancing learning) has become submerged in red tape and social problems - it grinds you down after a while.

10. Wasn't it you who wanted to retrain as a doctor a couple of months ago?

11. Yes, it was me, what an excellent memory to say I don't post a lot!
    I wanted to retrain as a doctor as I do not find my job as challenging as I would like it to be really, that's one of the only reasons.
    I've decided now that the idea was bonkers! I should stick to teaching!
    I'm currently applying for jobs as assistant headteacher, as a bit more of a challenge.

12. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I told a boy who asked me all the pluses and then showed him my markbook & lesson plans for the day, he was suprised at the amount of work involved but not put off. x

13. My daughter is considering becoming a teacher - I think its a great job, I love it!

14. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Elder daughter has just completed her PGCE application, so I must have passed on some good vibes about the profession- despite the usual moaning!

15. None of my family were teachers before myself.
    My Mum tried very hard to persuade me not be a teacher after I graduated with my BSc!
    My OH is an English teacher at Secondary School, are your OH's teachers?

16. mine's an accountant - now that's a profession that his woes have persuaded both our kids that they would gnaw their own arms off before joining

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Dad - teacher
    Mum - teacher
    Wife - teacher
    Sister-in-Law - teacher
    Sister - TA

I'm hoping at least one of my offspring will see sense and break the bloody mould - how bloody tedious will our extended family conversations get? ;-)

18. When my Mum tried to persuade me from becoming a teacher (after Graduating), I said it's either that or I go back into the army. In the end it bloody worked!
    Despite having no intention at all to go back!

19. Ha! I can image, a family of teachers [​IMG]
    I would love that!

20. oh - i remember my history gcse teacher was married to a teacher and [​IMG] -ed at the tediousness of her evening conversations
    (hah - but she - and the rest of you - should try being married to an accountant for [​IMG] work-based chatter)