1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If a member of staff is off sick

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Middlemarch, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you mean 'can disciplinary action proceed whilst a person is absent owing to illness', then the answer is a qualified 'yes'.
    The actions that can proceed would be the gathering of any evidence which it is possible to gather whilst the person is not present. Under some circumstances (e.g. a person still absent owing to illness such as a broken leg), it might be reasonable to ask them to attend a disciplinary hearing.
    It would not, however, be reasonable to expect a person to attend a disciplinary meeting if their doctor deems them too ill to attend.

2. Thanks so much for replying, Middlemarch - I really do appreciate it.
    The situation is further complicated by the fact that I have only three more weeks left to work in the school. I have been threatened with disciplinary action, and I am really upset, scared, anxious, not just about this but about the fact it's the latest in a long line of really unpleasant things and I just can't help but think that I could potentially have my career ruined in just three short weeks.
    I just don't know what to do.
    Thank you again for the reply.

3. Middlemarch

Feel free to PM me with a bit more detail if you want more detailed advice (for what my advice is worth!).
    I think there could well be grounds for a union rep insisting that it's in no-one's interests to pursue such a case, as you're leaving.

4. Would you mind? I need as much help as I can get, I think.

5. Middlemarch

Not in the least.