1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If a child gets PSRN points 4-7 they automaticaly get point 8?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BEXJ, May 29, 2011.

1. Hi at a bbq today and talking to someone who is a profile manager for a nearby local authority and she said that at a recent profile update they were told that if a child gets 4-7 they automaticaly get point 8 I had not heard this and was wondering if others had, I normally expect more to get the problem solving point 8 in all three area and only give if I see them using lots of different skills to solve problems.
    Anyone else heard this?

2. Hi at a bbq today and talking to someone who is a profile manager for a nearby local authority and she said that at a recent profile update they were told that if a child gets 4-7 they automaticaly get point 8 I had not heard this and was wondering if others had, I normally expect more to get the problem solving point 8 in all three area and only give if I see them using lots of different skills to solve problems.
    Anyone else heard this?

3. Not heard anything like this but if true will up my scores
    Let us know if you find out anymore

4. I know I was shocked my scores would go up too! I had to ask her twice and I was not even drinking!
    I have my second moderation on the 16th so I can ask then but all of my scores will be done by then.

5. I really don't like the PSRN profile points....especially point 8, and I'd say that if they can do points 4-7 (ie all of them), it would pretty much follow that they'd get point 8 too. Just like the cultures and beliefs point in PSED - if that's got evidence towards it, it's pretty likely they'll have the KUW point that is also about cultures and beliefs. It's the creative development points (off the top of my head, points 7 and 8) - they are so similar, and cover so much! Some of my children never leave the creative area, but don't do anything to do with music there, so can't award the point really! :( Our CD points have come up as requiring attention in the past two years, but I'm sure it's because of the tool for assessing, not the children's creativity! Hope the reveiw changes that dilemma for me!

6. sadika

sadika New commenter

Is it April Fool's Day already???

7. No I swear this was the converation and this person knows everything about the profile as its her job as the manager for the LA, I am going to ring my LA after half term to find out

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Definitely not the case in my LA (we were moderated last week)

9. We were told a similar thing, but not that it was definite - it was <u>likely</u> that a child getting points 4-7 would be able to problem-solve using those skills (ie achieve point 8), and that probably, if your observations to achieve those points were done using child-intiated activities, they were probably solving problems in at least some of the original observations.
    Does that make sense?

10. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I see lots of SSM point 8, and quite a bit of NLC point 8 ... but reallly find C point 8 hard to find apart from "sharing". Is sharing enough? Our LA Adviser couldn't come up with anything else when I asked her ...

11. hurny

hurny New commenter