1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

If a Briton had been the first man on the Moon.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by George1164, Apr 2, 2012.

1. It is July 1969, and the crew of Britannia Five, launched four days ago from Woomera by the massive, Princess Margaret rocket, are now in lunar orbit. Having transferring to the Lunar Excursion Vehicle, W/Cdr. Yeo Thomas and S/Ldr. Trubshaw prepare to descend to the Sea of Clouds. Aware that he will be the first human to set foot on the Moon, Yeo Thomas is mulling over what he will say when he does so.
    What will he say?

2. It is July 1969, and the crew of Britannia Five, launched four days ago from Woomera by the massive, Princess Margaret rocket, are now in lunar orbit. Having transferring to the Lunar Excursion Vehicle, W/Cdr. Yeo Thomas and S/Ldr. Trubshaw prepare to descend to the Sea of Clouds. Aware that he will be the first human to set foot on the Moon, Yeo Thomas is mulling over what he will say when he does so.
    What will he say?

3. (Inside the LEV)
    Thomas- After you, old boy.
    Trubshaw- No, after you, sir.
    Thomas- Oh, all right, if you insist. That was a sticky patch when the landing motors didn't fire first time, wasn't it?
    Trubshaw- yes, it was, sir.
    Thomas- Bloody British Leyland. Ah well, mustn't grumble.No, things could have turned out worse. Were you at Eton ,Trubshaw?
    Trubshaw- No, sir, I was a grammar school boy
    Thomas- Were you really? I could have sworn someone told me you went up a year or two after me.
    Trubshaw - I'm afraid not, sir
    Thomas- Ah well...what is your Christian name, by the way?... just in case... you know
    Trubshaw- Michael, sir
    Thomas- Michael . Yes. A fine name. Mine is Douglas.
    Trubshaw- Yes, I know , sir. Shouldn't you extend the ladder fully before you step onto it, sir?
    Thomas- Oh, yes, of course... Well, wish me luck then
    Trubshaw- Good luck, sir.
    (He steps onto the surface of the Moon)
    God save our gracious Queen....

4. Excellent, bobvincent. I have got this mental picture of both astronauts standing and saluting the Union Jack, as it doesn't flutter in the non-existant breeze, while the National Anthem is played.
    Just as Nixon spoke to Armstrong and Aldrin, I wonder who would have spoken to Trubshaw and Yeo Thomas: the Queen, Harold Wilson? Perhaps the Duke of Edinburgh would have invested them with a specially minted Platinum Award medal. I can also imagine them, after the flight, bashfully visiting the Blue Peter studios to collect their 'Blue Peter Badges', from John Noakes and Shep.
    I also wonder what the British would have have been called 'astronauts', which is, of course, an American term. The Russians coined 'cosmonaut', as did the French with 'spationaut' (not sure of spelling). I suppose the Chinese now have a name, but goodness knows what it is.

5. Thank you. an interesting thread

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Space Cadet?