1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IEPs - please advise me

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by juliemitchellbell, Jan 30, 2012.

1. I am a teacher of KS3 Music/Drama/Art. My problem is that I have around 100 pupils with IEPs. I am being asked to comment on these IEPs and to collect evidence monthly. I have been asked to keep written records of this and then to review every 3 months commenting on whether targets should change or not. All comments are to be handed in to SENCO at the end of the 3 months (but not evidence). I am spending around 3 hours per week on this and am struggling to do it honestly and effectively. I usually only teach the pupils for one period per week and because of the practical nature of my subjects I rarely have classroom assistants to help with this.
    Is this an acceptable workload? Some Maths/English teachers only have around 20 IEPs, see the pupils 4 times per week and have classroom assistants to help with the workload.
    Any comments/advice would be most appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Julie

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would consider that an unreasonable work expectation.... and raise this with your line manager. Negotiate a way around it.

I had a similar situation some years back as someone who teaches the entirity of KS3 - over 450 kids - seeing them once a fortnight and having to provide assessment tracking for them each half term. I explained how it seemed both impossible a task to assess them all with accuracy and asked that I submit assessment tracking once a term - so 3 times a year instead of 6.....

3. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

why are there such a high number of children with IEPs? Are these IEPs for the arts or are they for literacy, numeracy and behaviour? I would have a chat with the SENCo and explain your problem with the workload which does sound excessive. If it is necessary and if all the IEPs are necessary then maybe you could agree to do them less frequently - perhaps on a rolling programme Y7 one term, y8 the next plus flagging up any pupils who are giving significant concern.

4. The IEPs are for literacy, numeracy and EAL pupiols mainly. We have told SLT and SENCO that we cannot complete this number, this often effectively. We have been told that they may look at good practice in similar schools in the meantime they have asked for our support (in other words - just get on with them till we figure something else out!). I cannot justify the time spent as it is at the expense of my lesson planing and not to mention classtime that could be spent with more able students.
    Thanks for your comments guys.
    Any other guidance would be great!

5. while you are at it I've got five loaves and two fishes here, can you do anything with them? as you seem to be in that category...
    ermm what the heck has happened to teaching and common sense?

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

What yohanalicante said!
    Do anyone's IEPs relate to music?
    If so, work on those - if not, comment on anything notable and for the rest tell the powers that be that there's nothing significant to report.