1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IEP's & Provision maps

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Fuzzybrainjo, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Fuzzybrainjo

Fuzzybrainjo New commenter

Can I ask how people monitor and track their SEN provision?
    We are currently using IEP's with an added sheet showing the provision each child receives to help them try and meet their targets.
    I am the SENCO (new to the role last sept) and I feel that our IEP's are a waste of everyone's time. They are written three times a year but when I have spoken to staff they don't take them out of their SEN folders in between reviews, so they are of no practical use and the children are quite unaware of them!
    We use an IEP writer which has really rubbish targets that aren't that specific enough. On top of these targets the children also have two Literacy targets in their books and Maths targets. Some of our children that are on the SEN register are having up to 8 targets, more than G & T children.
    I would be interested to know how other schools monitor and track their interventions and provisions. I have been thinking about target books, where all of the children have any targets for any subject in, so at least they are kept in one place and the children can see progression of the layered targets.
    Also, if I try to change things I am usually met with quite strong opposition from the SMT.
    Any other ideas would be gratefully received.

2. I find that some of the children I work with need target cards to carry around with them.One child has three clear targets that they should achieve every lesson. A tick if they do, a cross if they don't, aim for 4/5 ticks. I usually discuss it with the child every few weeks to show them how they are doing and to see if we can make new targets or continue working on the ones in place.
    Not sure if this is the kind of thing you mean but it makes the ieps of some children easier to update.

3. Hi there!
    I am 2nd in dept at my school and here are a few of the things we do...
    1) IEP targets are changed every term however we do not use an IEP writer, instead the whole SEN dept set the targets together as quite often the TA's know a little more as they are in class with the children. These IEP's are kept centrally and on a shared staff netowrk on the computer. I would suggest picking one target per child to write in their planner/school diary....these are written by TA's at my school...

2) I am currently in charge of provision mapping and after looking on the net for ideas i have created a massive spreadsheet on excel with the following info; student, tutor group, sen stage, then columns with provision offered.....it's a good quick glance document! From this i have designed a template called 'record of support' which is a table listing the provision offered and we just tick what the child gets and it goes in the front of their sen folder

Hope this is helpful!

e-mail me at trash_palace@hotmail.co.uk if u like

Take Care

4. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Suspect you are Primary but also suspect you will know where I am coming from as ex Secondary and now working with the LA on Assessment . IEP writer - never used it - hated it for the reasons you state and think it is 'lazy ' .Targets 3 /4 linked to the outcomes of ECM = useful exercise . Teaching and learning strategies a must for staff . Reviews twice yearly but assessment for these students should fit in with whole school ARR schedule. I changed the name of IEP to PLP ( Personalised Leaning Plan ) to focus on learning. Only students at SA + have a PLP - SA have a PM. Asked staff to add/ annotate an access strategegy on the PLP and did an audit of all things SEN related by looking at their teaching files - provided a commentary to the Head of Faculty and examples of good practice .Most IEP in my experience a waste of time and therefore not worth consulting . OFSTED liked the Baseline Assessment ( hard data ) on ours which showed progress( or not ! ) and curricula targets ( amongst others ) set / met on the PLP evaluated as an outcome - eg working towards / achieved / not achieved or stated against the TA level met / exceeded / not met . Make sense ? Hope it helps .Fac got outstanding for care support and guidance .........

5. Many schools in our area are now moving away from IEPs, towards a system of provision mapping. I must add that i continue to use IEPs for pupils at school action plus and for statemented pupils. I also find that IEPs once done go away in the SEN file to come out at review time.I will be looking at a system utilising provision maps shortly, but continuing with IEPs for my statemented pupils.
    As long as we are target setting and planning for pupil learning there is no statutory requirement for IEPs to continue to be utilised by schools.

6. lillibit

lillibit New commenter

any chance anyone could email me a sample sheet - I am in throes of creating my first and in my mind I have this vision of one A4 sheet per pupil - even if I have to write in fint size 8 - that will show outline of needs, resuklts of all/any standardised tests etc - will send mine willingly - but presently only in design stages.
    Thanks in advance
    annbif@hotmail.com

7. Fuzzybrainjo

Fuzzybrainjo New commenter

Thank you for all of your replies. I have just started my senco accreditiation course so hopefully I will get something out of that to help me change the way things work at the moment.
    I never realised the job was as stressful when I took it on, if only I knew!!

8. peepo

peepo New commenter

Hi Just wondered whether the SENCO course provided you with any answers regarding whether to do IEPs and or provision maps?

9. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Have PM 'd you.
    Have PM 'd you.

10. Funny, I was looking for information about mapping and voila - three years later and this could have been written about my situation. Prior to my appointment the department was being 'run' by two HLTAs ; one is very open to change and the other thinks she should have my job. It doesn't help that she's in the deputy head's pocket acting as her 'mole'.
    They've both been writing IEPs for children rather than subject teachers setting targets, which makes the whole process doubly pointless. IEP writer will be wiped from their computers this term and my restructuring of the department will hopefully make one of them consider their future!!

11. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Just be aware that having a record of provision equates to a list of interventions which the student has accessed. So what ? This is meaningless unless the provision is evaluated against success/ impact criteria . I worked for a SENCO accreditation provider and their examples of PM s were nothing more than a grid with things in it - again meaningless unless you identify at the outset what you want to accomplish and evaluate accordingly .