1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IELTS or Cambridge or Trinity or something else?

Discussion in 'EAL' started by tb9605, Sep 1, 2020.

1. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Hi everyone

Those of you dealing with English or EAL or ESL, which exams do you use? What informed your decision? If you have experience of more than one exams series, which do you prefer and why?

If anyone involved in University applications wants to chip in with their view on which is most acceptable, that would be great too. (I expect I know the answer here, but you never know.)

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

IELTS is the recognised qualification for universities in Britain, it's also taught at most of the reputable language schools here.
    I teach at a language school on the South coast and most students who want to study at a British university need to get IELTS with a score of 7 or higher.

3. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

International students need a SELT - Secure English Language Test, and IELTS is one of the major ones, but there are others. Most universities will have an Admissions page that will give more detail:
    https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/admissions/selts

I managed courses at a university and IELTS was the most popular exam that international students had taken. It's more a question of taking an SELT rather than having to take IELTS.