1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Idly wondering - what proportion of Primaries have all female staff?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EcoLady, Jun 17, 2011.

1. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I'm arranging some pre-PGCE obs and noticed that the school I'm going to has no male staff at all. Not a single one among teaching or non-teaching staff.
    What proportion of schools are like this? How do they manage on trips with no male staff to supervise boys' trips to the loo or changing?
    My own children are at a school with just one male teacher and one male TA. I've been a parent helper on several trips and the site manager was always taken along so that there was a bloke on board. I've never seen a dad helping out on these events.
    Just wondering ...
    11 weeks til I quit my job ...

2. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I'm arranging some pre-PGCE obs and noticed that the school I'm going to has no male staff at all. Not a single one among teaching or non-teaching staff.
    What proportion of schools are like this? How do they manage on trips with no male staff to supervise boys' trips to the loo or changing?
    My own children are at a school with just one male teacher and one male TA. I've been a parent helper on several trips and the site manager was always taken along so that there was a bloke on board. I've never seen a dad helping out on these events.
    Just wondering ...
    11 weeks til I quit my job ...

3. We have 4 male teachers to about 7 female teachers. No male support staff other than site manager.
    I dont think its an issue with trips etc - if they are very little, they dont mind having a female present in changing rooms etc, and if they're older I used to just stand with my foot in the door facing outwards to respect their privacy but maintain some level of supervision.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I have worked or trained in 4 Primary schools and 3 of them had at least 2 male teachers and additional male support staff. One only had a caretaker but he was quite present in the school. It was only a 1 form entry though.

5. dbu

dbu New commenter

we have male head and 3 male staff teachers plus a male ta. female deputy with 24 female staff and ta's. 2 classes per year.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I've never been in an all female school

7. One male teacher, one male Learning mentor, one male caretaker in our school. Two form entry!!

8. 2/3 form entry F2 - Y6
    7 or 8 male staff
    about 40 female (a guess!)