1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideology for an interview...

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by tartxcore, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Hi Everyone!
    I could do with some advice/help. I have an interview on Thursday and for the 2nd part of it I have to prepare teaching materials aimed at AS students introducing them to the concept Ideology.There has to be enough stuff for 2 60 min lessons. I have no idea where to start.
    Please Help!

2. Hi Everyone!
    I could do with some advice/help. I have an interview on Thursday and for the 2nd part of it I have to prepare teaching materials aimed at AS students introducing them to the concept Ideology.There has to be enough stuff for 2 60 min lessons. I have no idea where to start.
    Please Help!

3. Speaking

Speaking New commenter

This is a few years old now but the concept may still work for you but is a little controversial but it gets the students to understand the term and how to use it in other mediums so here goes but if this is too near the cuff change it to how criminals are depicted using programmes like Silk, Luther, or video games etc...
    Initial teaching ideas...
    Brainstorm people's views of prostitutes and what the stereotypes are in how they look, where they will be (i.e on the streets/King's Cross) and how people view this term in society. Set up that for this activity to work the students need to be mature in their attitudes and not immature about it
    I then used clips of Mona Lisa, Pretty Woman and The Vice to get the students looking at how prostitutes are depicted in films and in TV dramas. After the clips I got them to work in groups identifying some key ideas:
    - What assumptions do people have about prostitutes?
    - What is the dominant ideology of prostitutes from these clips in film and on TV?
    - How does the media construct our views on prostitutes in the way they dress, speak and their lifestyles?
    - Do our views change because of the way that films or TV clips depict happy endings such as in Pretty Woman?
    - What is explicit in the representation of these women?
    - What is the implicit message?
    Get them to feedback to the class and hopefully get some stimulating discussion going on that will lead the lesson for you.
    - You can then bring in the theory of Marxism as to how women get into this position to be prostitues in the first place - exploitation of these women who see no other way of earning money etc? Is it a class struggle?
    - Introduce some theorists like Gramsci who defined hegemony as away for those in power to maintain their control i.e the dominant ideology. This allows you then to move onto Althasser and how people fit into their social class and are ruled accordingly as well as Chomsky who felt that the mass media use techniques to allow us to escape from a form of reality with the more pressing issues into watching entertainment based programmes - this means that people don't necessariily want to see famines or other natural disasters as documentaries but rather a version of reality.
    Basically, I tried to use an idea that I thought my students could grasp quickly and easily and I tried to find a way into ideology that would stay within them and it did work for me but it was a few years ago that I did this...
    Then, give them an essay question from their spec and get them to work in small groups planning/brainstorming an answer. Have a teacher modelled one to go through with them if they cannot get started easily so that you can show and explain how to answer a question on ideology.
    Get them to read each other's plans out and give feedback (from teacher/from peers) as you're listening to the responses from the mark scheme and get them to take down notes to help them.
    I hope this is of some use.
    Good luck for the interview.
    Shirley

4. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Firstly, are you sure that you are being asked for 2 hours of lessons? I've never heard of such a request. Secondly though, pop down an email address and I'll try to help.

5. Its 2 x 60 mins worth of teaching materials. I don't have to teach them though I present them to the department and explain how I would use them.
    my email is beccithourgood@hotmail.co.uk
    thank you =]

6. Thanks Shirley this was helpful!!

7. Hi! Firstly DON'T PANIC. Have you tried MediaEdu - http://media.edusites.co.uk/ If you are already a member, email/ Facebook or Tweet them and they will get their team on it to help - as part of your subscription. Here are their bits on Ideology: http://media.edusites.co.uk/category/c/ideology/ Good eh? Send me a PM if you need even more ideas.

Good luck - hope you like the school!