1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

identifying the rioters

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sel_chick, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Do you think that, as teachers, we have an obligation to look at the photos of the rioters/looters and where possible, help police to identify them?

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

EVERYONE has a responsibility to do it!

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

No, as teachers we don't have any <u>EXTRA </u>obligation to identify people who break the law.
    We have a duty to do so as a responsible member of society, not because of our job.

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

IF they are in your teaching groups next year, you owe it to yourself to identify them!

5. I fully agree with that, I just wondered if people thought that as many of these rioters were of school age, whether we should be making the extra effort to check if we recognised anyone.
    I live hundreds of miles away from the riots, so I'd say it's highly unlikely that I'd know anyone, but if there had been riots closer to here then I wouldn't be thinking twice about it.
    I wondered if anyone had a different opinion/view point.

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i hope not.

7. Agreed, but I wondered if there could be a fear element attached? Not wanting to identify people in case there are any repercussions?
    I really don't know. I'm questioning a lot of things about these riots and I'm fortunately not in the situation of having to deal with it personally.

8. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

The problem with policing by camera is, as the Met do with their website, you immediately have someone marked and advertised as guilty. No trial, no defence. If teachers are going to join in, then maybe we should ask ourselves just how sure we are the person's life we are about to help wreck, did, in fact, commit an actual crime?

9. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

The police will not tell the arrested oik who identified them from the still - if you can see your darling Y10 oik, then so can his mammy.

10. How could there be? How would the guilty party know WHO had identified him/her given there were so many people taking pictures during the riots?
    I agree that as members of society we owe it to ourselves and everyone around us to have these mor.onic looters caught and charged with their crimes. They are criminals. What's good about covering up for them?
    You may just be teaching someone the most valuable lesson of their life.

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I don't see it as any different to identifying someone who committed a crime shown on crimewatch. It's just a fact of life that teachers are more likely to be able to identify specific kids than adults from other walks of like will be able to, unless they are neighbours.

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That's the job of the police. They only need help from us wrt identifying suspects. I wouldn't assume that anyones life will be wrecked . . . . . oh, apart from the peoples whose businesses and property has been destroyed, whose loved ones have been killed, etc.

13. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I've had a good look at the photos from the riots in Birmingham and if I saw any of my little darlings (whether they be current of past pupils) or any of their parents/siblings I wouldn't hesitate to report them.

14. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I live miles from any of the action... Bristol is my closest, but if I saw anyone i recognized on there, I wouldn't hesitate!

15. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

It would be very unfortunate if you were innocent and in one of these photos - but then surely, it would also be a valuable lesson to keep away from friends who are looting or to stay away from criminal disorder. It seems that a lot of the people up before the magistrates are issuing 'guilty' pleas - yours would therefore have to be 'not guilty'.

MM

16. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I think those who have responded to my post make some fair points, but to me this is all about how policing should be. Our present system is all about the police doing little or nothing at the point of criminality - they backed off from confronting the rioters and now chase SOME of them down weeks after the event. When people talk about the people who lost their businesses, what odds they would dearly have wanted the police to get the offenders earlier?That is, be VISIBLE and active on our streets? The police are also now under extreme pressure to get these 'suspects' proven guilty, and they (and Cameron) need graphs and stats now to show they 'did a wonderful job'. As said, just be damn sure you shop someone who deserves it. But can you be sure? Crimewatch explained how they got the evidence....the Met website says nothing beyond 'help us'. I don't think we should assist such policing as the MAIN way we are policed.

17. Although we may not have more of a duty to do so we are in a unique position as teachers. If it was term time and pics were sent to schools I reckon more would be identified.
    I can guess that several of the youngsters however, have probably not attended school for a while even though 16 and under....
    All teachers need to do is look at their list of 'ferral rats'.

18. When the six week holidays are over, yes you do!

19. Why? Do we stop being good citizens as well for 6 weeks, then? Maybe that is part of the problem - the someone else will do it/ don't want to get involved culture. Good policing relies upon help from good citizens - if that cannot be relied upon then we should not be surprised if there is a gradual progress towards martial law/ a police state where people are governed by fear and movements are restricted. I doubt if most of us really want that but if we want to live in a democracy we also have a responsibility to participate as citizens.

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Someone - and all the other pupils in their Tutor Group, Year Group, or whatever, who see the repercussions of criminal behaviour being felt by a mate.