1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Identification of Gifted and Talented without using levels?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by verity_pope, Oct 8, 2015.

1. verity_pope

verity_pope New commenter

Hi all,
    I've been tasked with updating our able, gifted and talented policy and register. I'm wondering if anyone has done so and identified students recently without using levels. We have moved to a new system and are not using levels any more so how much ahead of the rest of the year group should a gifted pupil be working in subjects such as Maths and English?
    I'd appreciate any input or advice.
    Thanks.

2. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Hi - so I don't feel qualified to talk about English, but in mathematics it is not so much about how far ahead they are but how fluently they can operate without having to work things out laboriously.

This makes teacher judgement more qualitative than quantitative, and probably all the better for it!

verity_pope likes this.
  3. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

This is tricky. We see gifted as those exceeding expectations in English or Maths or Science. However, I agree with the previous post and we decided that we would all discuss who we put on the register at staff meetings.
    We probably won't put children on the tracker as gifted until the end of year 2 when we have a lot of evidence. Obviously, this may change in the future.
    Able is harder as all children are supposed to be secure so then are they able?
    I have removed this term from our policy as our tracker (from Lancashire) just has a section for gifted and talented.
    Teachers are told to look at mastery in depth. I think this is easier for Maths than English as I think maturity is an important factor for English.

verity_pope likes this.
  4. verity_pope

verity_pope New commenter

Thank you both for replying. It's good to know what others are doing and I agree that it's probably best to be looking at the mastery element rather than the year gp above objectives, which we have talked about.
    I also think it involves more conversation as it's slightly more grey now and teacher opinion is definitely going to be valuable here!
    Thanks again.