1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas wanted for Y10 GCSE Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by carolyn0412, Jan 31, 2016.

1. carolyn0412

carolyn0412 New commenter

I have a Y10 GCSE class of 6 (occasionally 7) students. My problem is the vast difference in ability and in commitment to the course. The higher ability students are in every lesson and are always switched on to what we are doing. The lower ability students miss numerous lessons due to exclusion, isolation, absence and illness. When they are in, they are often not engaged in the lesson as they have missed the lessons before hand and they then become very disruptive for the others. They want to to practical work, which is fine as they all work individually then, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to teach the Edexcel set works. I have spend hours developing different ways of getting them to learn key terminology but it only seems to benefit those that are interested.
    Does anyone have any suggestions of how to recapture the interest of those students who dip in and out of the lessons and miss so much work, without jeopardising the learning of the those students who have already understood and are ready to move on?

2. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

That sounds tricky with such a small group. Can you divide them up by ability for some lessons? Or maybe start with some of the more accessible set works, get them to listen and work some stuff out for themselves in pairs. There are lots of YouTube revision videos schools have made for edexcel, which may make things more engaging for those who find it difficult.
    Also, see the thread just under this on about year 10 differentiation.
    Good luck

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Tell them to catch up by asking you or the other students for the missed work. Then carry on as normal. If they don't catch up it's their own stupid fault. Oh no, I remember, that's how it used to be when pupils were expected to have a bit of personal responsobility. But there is no reason why you should be teaching differently because some pupils are lazy. Thast makes no sense at all. However, I know it's you and not they who will be judged if they fail. Mad world.