1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ideas to teach acid + metal to year 7- observation lesson

Discussion in 'Science' started by sciencequeen00, Jan 2, 2011.

1. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

Was thinking a short practical comparing different metals an dtheory behind it......

2. How long have you got? What ability?
    Metals and acids is a nice easy practical.

3. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

1 hour lesson
    As you are aware I am keen to gain a good, I am willing to try new things and take a risk, this class has good behaviour and level 5-6 targets.

I can either begin the chemical reactions topic on the observation lesson- i.e chemical reactions v physical changes or do metals and acid recations.I can start the topic either when I go back or for my observation, I have a filler lesson if needed...

Either area I can start on/.

4. If it were me (which it isn't!) I would focus on investigative skills. How can the reaction be measured (compare qualitative and quantitative results)? What do the results tell us? What don't they tell us? How could the investigation be extended? Get them thinking/discussing and a less teacher led lesson.

5. After the practical work, however you want to run it, I'd strongly recommend something hands-on to show the reactions. Printing 8 to an A4 page means you could 'build' the molecules and show the rearrangements (holepunch each card and link with treasury tags). Molymods are of course also useful but if your kids are anythign like mine, you'll find many alien sculptures and few molecules.