1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas to stimulate story writing for assessment Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by whodbeateacher, Jan 18, 2008.

1. That's it really. I need to do a piece of assessed (narrative) writing and want to spend a session planning/session writing. It's the ideas they find so hard.

Anyone got some tips to get them going?

2. That's it really. I need to do a piece of assessed (narrative) writing and want to spend a session planning/session writing. It's the ideas they find so hard.

Anyone got some tips to get them going?

3. I recently showed my children a picture of a large set of outdoor steps. They had to imagine what or who was at the top. They planned their stories using storyboards with 4 sections: opening, problem, solution, ending. They wrote some fantastic stories! Hope that helps.

4. A great idea. I don't suppose you're able to send me the picture you used ..... pretty please? :)

Thanks for a super idea. I'll try it.

teacher12@hotmail.co.uk

5. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

I think pictures and other kinds of visuals are great for kids. Perhaps you could ask pairs of chn to choose an item from a selection and use that to inspire them!

6. Good idea. I shall hunt around the house for things to steal from my own children to bring in to school!

I don't want to limit them particularly but, from my own experience, know how hard it is to thing up something from scratch. And it's been some time since we've done narrative writing too - it will really tell me where they are at (hopefully!).

7. Or even "think" up something ;/

8. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter

9. I had no idea about these. They are brilliant and I will definitely use them. Thanks so much for all your help, guys.

10. we act out a story as a class and use various drama conventions to include everyone. It is more 'real' than just writing from their heads. They need to experience before writing - and for some, they have little if any experience. Good luck!

11. I've saved that. Looks great.

Well, lots of ideas to go from there. It's always so hard for them straight from cold. They will be inspired.

Thanks to you all.