1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas to help encourage boys writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cas64, Feb 12, 2012.

1. cas64

cas64 New commenter

Has anyone got any good ideas to help encourage boys to write. I have a year 3 class with large number of boys (19) they have poor levels in writing which I need to improve fast.

2. cas64

cas64 New commenter

Topic for next term is the Romans.

3. What about really focussing on the visual stimuli you use for writing? We do Big Writing each week with a strong visual prompt, such as animations etc. THe boys have responded to it very well. Lots of good animations on aniboom.com It really seems to help them start their writing and improve their vocab too (the girls have responded very well too).

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

5. cas64

cas64 New commenter

Thanks for the help. What is the Big Write all about? Could you give me more details please?

6. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi Singup, I have just looked up aniboom.com - do you have any recommendations for particular videos? Thanks.

7. For example, a crime scene always works well. Your pupils could roleplay detectives. Explain the difference between general details and describing things in detail using specific vocabulary.

8. If they can't say it they can't write it!
    Big Write is an appraoch to writing making it fun and giving the children opportunities to talk before they write. You can find out more here www.andrelleducation.com If you go to the shop and the freebies you can see some of hte resourcces after registering your email.

9. Our Big Writing is not always linked to our theme, but takes place once a week. It is a chance for all children to write independently from some kind of stimuli like a situation, object or film. I don't have any Roman theme animations to recommend, but good ones to use on aniboom in general are Garto, Holy Sheep, Baking with Mother, Uno, the Sea and the Locket, The Angry Beast. Uno is a great one to start with as it is quite mysterious. I always choose ones without narration and it can be linked to all kinds of writing.

10. cas64

cas64 New commenter

Thanks for the ideas, have looked at aniboom site, which has some great clips. Has anyone got a writing area in their classroom and if so what sort of things have you included to encourage writing?

11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i had a year group that was all boys. i gave them a special book to write in during choosing time or any other odd moments, if they wished. they wrote what they liked, whenever, and it was never marked - i made a point of telling them that! some of them did it every day, after that. my class still have them, and they are very popular. the kids get to write with no pressure at all, no one waffling about full stops, and about whatever they like. mind you, they don't all turn out to be geniuses at writing, but they do it more naturally now.

12. http://www.abcdoes.typepad.com/
    I know Alistair is mainly Early Years but many of his ideas can be adapted to older children. I love his pringle boxes!