1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas to control a class

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by harry1978, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Try countdowns, 5 -->1 and 3 --> 1 (vary this with tone required), use a mini-bell for getting them back/attention. The other thing I was doing with year 2 which worked a treat is writing the names of pupils that don't listen or misbehave on the board. Make it clear that these pupils will miss their playtime or other activity if it continues. Also get them to stand in the corner of the room in silence without leaning on anything. Yes the younger ones can be naughty but with ground rules in place EARLY then it is easier. The only problem is that following up unruly children's parents may be tricky in a 'supply' capacity. If you can have a stimulus of some sort to constantly get them engaged i.e. use of interactive whiteboard, a pet (this is extreme), but make it fun and show them your softer human side too.

2. Forgot to mention Danielle that you should 'split' friendship pairs/groups up soon as you are in the classroom. If they are grouped for certain subjects its ok but for individual tasks, separate them - this will also work a treat as you establish from the off that you are the boss lady.

3. I find raffle tickets still work for Year 6. Make sure you praise the children who are doing the right thing, and reward groups of children doing the right thing. e.g. Red table can go out for lunch first, as they've tidied their table and are sat nicely.
    Also make sure you talk to Year 6s as ten year olds, not as infants (can be hard to switch!), otherwise they'll take offence.
    Learn the sanctions for the school (e.g. missed playtime, move to another classroom) and follow them. Lets the kids know there will still be consequences if they mess around, and keep them in to finish work at playtime if they've not done enough work.
    I find sometimes even mentioning the consequences (e.g. I hope I don't have to write a consequence slip) is enough to make them behave - lets them know that you are aware of the system, and willing to use it!
    Good luck - I really enjoy teaching Year 6 - they can be a lot of fun.

4. I sometimes single out the main trouble causer and tell them (in a calm, non-threatening way) that I'll come and speak to them in a few minutes.
    Like one of the previous posters said, some children will be looking for an audience or confrontation but this takes the wind out of their sails. It also makes the others think about what they're doing in case they're next.
    It doesn't work every time but for some it gives them time to think about their behaviour and instills enough fear to make them stop.
    I leave it until the rest of the class are settled and working then either take them to one side (within the class) or talk quietly to them at their table. I try to keep it non-confrontational and put the onus on them by asking what that disruption was all about.
    By the way, great thread, has given me loads of ideas!