1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas, Resources or Scheme of Work - Year 9 Databases (Access)

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Beet, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Hi

I need help with resources, ideas teaching difficult Year 9 students skills on Database (Access).

Anyone have some ideas or help.

Thanks

2. Xericist

Xericist New commenter

I find a music database often works; Single table ; Artist, title, year released, rating (say 1-5), genre, review (memo). or a DVD/games database?
    As this relates to what they like - the difficulty often disappears

3. For the first 3 lessons we play games as a starter - helicopter game, bop-it, anything that generates a number. During this time we do some modular bits on data types, field names, queries, etc. Then we spend 3 lessons building a database table, importing the CSV file full of scores and using queries to answer questions (how many girls got more than 400 on the helicopter game, name the three people who got the highest score on bop-it, etc.). Those who get the hang of it can end up producing some fairly detailed analysis of the effect that hair colour, height or tutor group have on scores.

4. BrianUK

BrianUK New commenter

Yep. I sure am. Please re-read the OP. This class is "difficult" and databases are boring, no matter how skilled you may be in fooling them it is otherwise.
    Databases and other "boring" bits can be left to Y10 when pupils who actually *want* to learn CS, can do so.
    So, let KS3 IT be fun I say, and stop trying to peddle the old mantra that learning has to be difficult to be of any use.

5. You've slightly mistaken my meaning there.

I didn't say that learning had to be difficult to be of any use, I said that we shouldn't avoid topics simply because students find them difficult or moan that they're 'boring'. Given the prevalence of databases in the modern world, the fact that this is the last year of compulsory IT education for those students makes it even more pressing that they are given some teaching in how to make use of databases.

Again, oan obvious analogy is algebra. Many weaker students will complain that they'll never use algebra, and it's hard, and it's boring. It's also really important.

Please re-read the OP. Beet was looking for resources and ideas to help Y9 students with databases in Access. Perhaps you have some suggestions you could offer other than 'skip it, it's too hard'?

6. BrianUK

BrianUK New commenter

Skip it. You bet. It's too hard and completely unnecessary at KS3. 90% of the kids the OP is teaching will NEVER make a database or be in the slightest bit interested in them - ever. All you are doing is putting kids off the subject.
    The same argument can be applied to algebra - for 90% (of course I am deliberately exaggerating here) of kids it is confusing and boring. Another topic that should be left it to KS4 IMO.