1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas please...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by keepsmilin37, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Hi
    In September I will be moving from a FS/Y1 mixed class to a Y3 class, boy heavy and would like a book to read at the end of the day over several weeks. I want something that they won't have as a reading or library book, so I was thinking about a more 'classic' book, but I'm not sure whether something like Treasure Island, would be too old for them. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

2. Hi
    In September I will be moving from a FS/Y1 mixed class to a Y3 class, boy heavy and would like a book to read at the end of the day over several weeks. I want something that they won't have as a reading or library book, so I was thinking about a more 'classic' book, but I'm not sure whether something like Treasure Island, would be too old for them. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Tom Sawyer would be good.

Or any of these retold classics http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_binding_browse-b_mrr_1?rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3Agill+tavner%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A492564011&bbn=266239&keywords=gill+tavner&ie=UTF8&qid=1312130582&rnid=492562011

My year 6 boys also liked Emma and Pride and Prejudice from the same series. But Oliver Twist, David Copperfield and the like would be great for year 3.

5. Thank you both for your replies.
    Now you have mentioned it, I remember having Stig Of The Dump read to me at school along with The Iron Man, The Hobbit and The Secret Garden (the latter the teacher read in a brilliant accent!).
    I am off to search now... :)

6. 'I was a Rat' by Phillip Pullman

7. Diary of a Wimpy Kid will work well.

8. Hi - Michael Morpurgo has written loads of books which seem particularly suitable to Yr 3 and often appeal to boys. I moved to yr 3 last year and we use Michael Morpurgo as our author study which is one of the yr 3 literacy units - it is also great as our topic in the first term is World War 2 and lots of his novels fit this theme too. My last class got really enthusiastic about listening to his stories.