1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas please to encourage writing in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by catwoman green, Jan 16, 2008.

1. I am an NQT in reception and I am finding it hard to link writing to the letters and sounds and still make it interesting. I have a wrting area which I am developing and I have watched some teacher's tv clips which have been useful with regard to writing opportunities in the role play corner. However, as a class the children are still not doing much in the way of writing. I want the children to have a purpose to write and to enjoy it. Help! We are currently looking at winter and i have an Arctic/cold role play area. I have made a sheet so the children can write to 'The Ice Bear' (from a book, The Ice Bear's Cave) but I have not tried it yet. Thanks

2. I am an NQT in reception and I am finding it hard to link writing to the letters and sounds and still make it interesting. I have a wrting area which I am developing and I have watched some teacher's tv clips which have been useful with regard to writing opportunities in the role play corner. However, as a class the children are still not doing much in the way of writing. I want the children to have a purpose to write and to enjoy it. Help! We are currently looking at winter and i have an Arctic/cold role play area. I have made a sheet so the children can write to 'The Ice Bear' (from a book, The Ice Bear's Cave) but I have not tried it yet. Thanks

3. having a sign-in reigster in class,
    office role play with notepads, post it notes etc,
    have mocked up registers - my reception class used to love playing 'teacher'
    old diaries to write in,
    travel agents - writing tickets etc,
    clipboards outside, white boards,

hope it gives you a few ideas!

4. Thank you Gaynorbray. I will certainly use the register idea, I have used some of the other ideas that you suggested before but not had a lot of uptake from the children. Perhaps I need to model some of them to give the children the idea.

5. Every now and again i cover my literacy table with sugar paper and put different types of writing equipment, eg felt tips, wax crayons etc. Children love the idea of writing on tables etc. I also add smallworld characters for them to draw/write stories. The last ditch attempt i did was create a folder with there favourite cbeebies characters photocopied with lines underneath to encourage them to write. I made sure my writing area was also pleasing on the eye, as i noticed it wasn't as inviting as the rest of my areas. I got all these ideas from a course and it has seemed to encourage my children, even the boys!

Hope these ideas help.

6. COULD YOU PROMISE THEM AN ICE PARTY ! EACH CHILD HAS TO WRITE THEIR PARTY FOOD/GAMES IDEAS LIST AND SEND THEM TO ICE BEAR (NO LIST NO CAN ATTEND PARTY-SORRY-ICE BEAR IS VERY FUSSY ABOUT THAT !!! !!!) THEY WILL ALL HAVE TO HAVE NAME ON SO BEAR CAN READ THEM....WHEN BEAR HAS THEM ALL (HAS TO WAIT EVEN FOR LAST ONE !) HE CAN WRITE BACK TO SAY WHERE AND WHEN PARTY WILL BE AND THE IDEAS HE HAS SELECTED FOR THE FOOD/GAMES ETC wHETHER ICE BEAR ATTENDS OR NOT IS UP TO YOU-YOU COULD SPIN IT OUT BY GETTING THEM TO SEND A MAP OF WHERE YOU ARE, SENDING INVITATIONS TO TEACHERS /OTHER CLASS MATES, WRITING RECIPES/INSTRUCTIONS OF HOW TO DECORATE AN ICED BISCUIT/MAKE A LOLLY ETC. USE DIFFERENT SHAPED/COLOURED/BORDERED PAPER AND SILVER PENS ETC

7. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

My TA and I have given our writing tables lots of thought, because it is rare for children to visit it if there is no adult present.

Things that have worked the best are:

* making postcards with letters at the top, making postcards with characters on and space to write ... they seem to like small bits of paper.

* stencils with pictures and letters

* little books made by folding A4 down to A7 size

* spare resources from previous lessons (they can repeat the activity independently)

We also started calling it the "writing and drawing" table rather than just the writing table and children now do go there to draw and colour (there are lots of colouring resources). We put the most recent books from storytime on the table.

I love the idea of covering the table with sugar paper by the way. I'll be trying that one next week for sure!

8. We always put old frieze paper on the floor with markers and felts, always goes down well. Children also like dry wipe board - we have a large one in the class and let them have the individual ones out during CI play. I do think you have to model role play writing, we use video clips where possible to show their use (e.g. early vision, 2simple city). I often find the best way to encourage them is to sit and draw/write at the table with them.

9. Can you leave your e-mail address and I will send you some good resources for the writing area.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

How much letter-formation instruction goes on in F2? I just wonder what happens to the children (like ones I've seen) who know their sounds and are champing at the bit yet held up by the fact that there's precious little actual handwriting going on.

11. I'm quite fortunate because the foundation (2) unit don't complain about the amount of writing we do!! We don't do that much, but every child has the same task to complete sometime during the day. This is generally guided writing.

In a morning, the children have their name on a laminated piece of card. They practice their name on whiteboards and then once they have done it, they can draw and doodle through registration. This works really and everyone can write their own name. (I feel that at this young age, this is very important as regards to identity within the classroom). Also, I have worked in higher year groups when children haven't been able to write their name or if they can, it hasn't been neat.

The boys in the class don't generally choose to do mark making/writing activities in their free choice time, hence the reason we have a task for the day which is always literacy.

I don't know how helpful the above is, it could well be random words put together! Oh the joys of a foundation unit, so tiring!!!! :D

12. Thanks everyone for your ideas and help. This is the first thread I have ever started and I am so glad that I did. Your advice has been invaluable. Magmac, my email is marg.smith@whsmithnet.co.uk

I am going to be very busy for the next few days!!!!

melaniejade1988 likes this.
  13. Magmac, if it's not too late could I also get a copy of your writing resources.

Thanks fairynough@hotmail.com

14. Magmac
    Please could i also have a copy of your writing area resources
    Thank you

SPIVEYMJH@aol.com

15. Msz

Msz Established commenter

inky we teach letter formation as each phoneme is introduced then do daily handwriting lessons once all graphemes have been taught.

16. NellySparks

NellySparks New commenter

ooohhh magmac,
    Any chance i could have a look too if it's not too much trouble.

Was looking what a mess my writing areas looked today and need a bit of inspiration.
    thanks
    barclhel@aol.com