1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas on what diary texts could be used for YR4 Literacy

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by toggle2, May 4, 2007.

1. I'm thinking Diary of a Cat killer etc, but would like a range for the children to look at to look at diary writing characteristics - any help would be well appreciated!! Cheers big ears

2. I'm thinking Diary of a Cat killer etc, but would like a range for the children to look at to look at diary writing characteristics - any help would be well appreciated!! Cheers big ears

3. What about anne frank? or the mum minder by jacqueline wilson?

4. Flapwell

Flapwell New commenter

I have a year 4 class who love Diary of a Wimpy kid. No input from me either. I've balanced diary writing by reading extracts of the above, and Diary of a KC, plus Anne Frank and some Samuel Pepys, the Black Death. Diary writing lends itself to weak sentence structure, and knowing how many marks are given for openers and connectives, I want the children to use them in a test situation.Love diarywriting for LAPs, but if children really use the style they get marked down.

5. Flapwell

Flapwell New commenter

On balance, I'm chosing Diary of a Killer Cat as my main text. Well written,funny, I love it, children hmmm. I'm going to make it into a courtroom drama. Our theme is persuasive writing, but the QCA test is diary writing, which isn't on our syllabus,I an new to the year group, and I wouldn't have known this..I should add that I'm not a particularly good teacher, but want a wow lesson for PF