1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas on Parliament Topic Work

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LindyHop, Jun 3, 2020.

1. LindyHop

LindyHop New commenter

Hi Folks

I've got the task of planning about a week's worth of Home Learning Tasks on the Topic of Parliament for 7-11 year olds (KS2). Year's 3, 4, 5 and any remaining home schooled Year 6s will be doing this.
    Ideally, I'm looking for tasks that are open ended or with levels of choice for pupils. Obviously printing will NOT be an option for many pupils at home. Plus I need to think about the ease of children accessing the tasks themselves with very minimal support from an adult. I know there are really good powerpoints (on here and ****** etc) and a few good explanatory videos about many aspects of Parliament, but is it the 'open ended tasks' /choice of challenge tasks which I am needing ideas on.
    Suggested content is
    1)How Parliament works
    2)Houses of Parliament – difference between House of Commons and House of Lords
    3)Voting/elections
    4)Roles of the government
    5)Local MP – who it is/what they do
    6)Welsh Assembly, Scottish Parliament
    7)European parliament
    8)Brexit
    If you could think of any ideas for any of these or anything else related that would be fabulous. A huge thank you in advance for all suggestions no matter what!

Kindest regards
    Lindy Hop

2. install

install Star commenter

I’d go down this route:

What is an MP
    What is a Political Party
    What is voting
    What is Parliament
    Who makes up Parliament
    What do they do in Parliament
    What is democracy

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Use the parliament website as they have so many free ks2 resources.

speaker2 likes this.
  4. DFC

DFC New commenter

A well known resource website has a ks2 learning pack on this topic which might be useful.

5. speaker2

speaker2 Occasional commenter

I would suggest also a creative task along the lines of designing their idea of what Parliament should look be like. Links to School Council - can they come up with ideas for how to develop the school council, or questions that they could ask their peers regarding possible school improvements based on the pupil voice? What about thinking about Parliament from the prospective of the buildings - DT link possibly? Philosophy questions as a way to generate the kinds tasks that you are asking about- eg: What does an MP look like? Which words describe the qualities of a good MP? Why? Create a recruitment advert for MPs- in any format eg, written, drawn, video, music, poem etc etc.Which 3 questions would you ask your local MP ?