1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas on how to teach light to Key Stage one and Key Stage two children please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Can anyone suggest some ways to teach light to key stage one and key stage two please? I'm a trainee and I'm not on placement yet and I don't know which year group I'll be with. This is a topic which I've been told I will be teaching though and I just want to find out a bit more about it. Can anyone suggest some activities please? E.g. how effective is making a pinhole camera with kids and what does it teach them? This question does have a very broad focus. Just looking at how to teach light to children of all ages because this is a topic I need to develop my understanding of and we haven't covered it in the course yet. Thanks in advance.
    Analogies are always great so if you know any for teaching light, please share! I'm eager to learn!

2. Also, which misconceptions do children tend to have about light in your experience?

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I taught light recently to a Y2/3 class
    start with sources of light, natural and man-made.
    Move onto shadows and ways of blocking light. Investigate the best material to block light. Explore what happens to shadows as the object gets closer/further away from the light source.
    Investigate beams of light and how to use mirrors or other materials to reflect light. Use prisms to bend light. how rainbows are formed.
    Oh, get something in about opaque/translucent and transparent materials and how light travels throught these materials.
    Does light get weaker the further it travels?
    For KS2: The speed of light.

Misconceptions.... didn't come across any. Oh, they thought that if you shone light inside a box and then closed the lid, the light could be 'kept/stored' in there. Yes, storage of light was something they thought could be done.
    We also looked at how those glow sticks worked.
    hope this helps

4. The work I've done on light is in V63's resources. They might help you x