1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas on how to stretch your highers in Literacy.....

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by modgepodge, Jan 22, 2012.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I teach far lower down the school (Y1) but I guess the principles are the same. I tend to set a similar task across the board, but would have more support for the lower kids (often in literacy a TA or myself will work with the lowest group and scribe for them), and I differentiate with their targets. So I might say "X group need to write at least 2 sentences, thinking about including capitals and full stops, Y group need to write at least 3, and as well as full stops and capitals need to include the word because in both sentences". Each child has their own targets too (obv differentiated) so I go round whilst their working, check they know what their target is and remind them to do it.
    I think sometimes in literacy differentiating by outcome is fine....I feel that if I set completely different tasks for each gorup, the middle group (for example) may miss out on attaining higher as I haven't given them that chance.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

In Secondary, our low Level 4 writers need to structure extended writing and use a wider range of punctuation. Their vocabulary tends to be fairly limited (in Sec terms) and they are just beginning to vary sentences. Teaching them to start sentences with subordinate clauses, correctly puntuated, would be a start for your Low 4s. Then get them to add detail to sentences by extending noun phrases and/or inserting clauses while maintaining clarity. In reading, our low 4s tend to resell the story so need to be encouraged to refer to the text and explain effects of vocabulary. That said, we tend to set individual targets. Try thinking in terms of, "What's stopping this from being a secure Level 4??.