1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas of how to embed maths in English?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by clwillcock, Dec 3, 2015.

1. clwillcock

clwillcock New commenter

does anyone have any suggestions or resources of how to include maths in an English lesson? Thanks :)

2. Penguinitis

Penguinitis Occasional commenter

You could think about including time limits, ages, splitting the group into various sizes (division) calculating marks into percentages to pass. Depends on the resources really, as to what you can pull out.

3. blueskiesmev

blueskiesmev New commenter

Estimate average words per sentence/line/paragraph then calculate it to see if it is accurate. It could be useful if you have essays with a word count.

Do a test and get students to calculate their percentage then find a class average.

Have a mini scrabble game and students calculate points.

Reading/writing speeds (word poet minute).

4. MissStery

MissStery New commenter

Haikus,
    limericks,
    who can find word with the longest syllable,

If writing online, look at page layout - margins, line-spacing, etc.

Occurence of same word in a page or more of Shakespeare

How old are the students? The Hungry Caterpillar is a number muncher...

Reading out loud - how does speeding up/ slowing down pace change emphasis, delivery...

numeracymaths likes this.
  5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

How about Functional Numeracy?

Google Functional Numeracy Level 2 (or level 1) and follow the links to Functional Numeracy exam past papers.

Certainly trying to teach this as a maths teacher I find the students have little difficulty with the actual maths; they lack the English skills to find it.

6. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

The history of mathematics is a good source of mathematical stories - there is a clever piece of mathematics relating to how you could work out the fret positions (think guitar frets) - I saw in a text (******'s fretful fiasco)- maths of music
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Mathematics-From-Pythagoras-Fractals-y/dp/0199298939
    The actual story holds up well against the mathematics - and importantly the story isn't the detail of the mathematics, though an appreciation of it is perhaps fostered

cellerdore and Vince_Ulam like this.
  7. armandine2

wow I'm impressed by the inappropriate censor! not

8. GiraffeGirl

GiraffeGirl New commenter

How old is the class? You can use poetry as an example of the use of maths in the english language. Also, many finctional books include math, for example, 'Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions' By Edwin Abbott Abbott.

9. armandine2

There is a paragraph in an oldish and adult maths book, I have, where the author expressed his bemusement with the use of percentages given in the media - two unconnected (other than their source) examples are recalled, and any inappropriate innuendo conflating them is reassuringly denied, but supplied. The percentages given relate to the number of stains on clothing due to lipstick and a reduction of Sunday afternoon strolls taken in Paris.

There are few examples from textbook writers of this hidden away digression into literariness - I enjoy stumbling across them. The book is a Further Ed type - will give quote if no one beats me to it.

ajs345 likes this.
  10. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Iambic tetrameter. Blank verse. Make students sit there going dum di dum di dum and clap it out.
    Chronological dates: Inspector Calls was written in 1947(ish) and set in 1912, what is the differnce in time between these 2 dates?
    Timed exercises used to be acceptable, but I am now told that they are not. Don't know why. Apparently, knowing how long 15 minutes is, and reading the clock on the wall, is not numeracy.
    Let's be honest we probably all do the above in our lessons at some point. It is utter rubbish to have to dig it up specifically for an observation just to prove that we know what numeracy is.

11. Aheitler

Aheitler New commenter

Travel brochures are gold for this kind of thing. I teach in offender learning and am limited to paper resources (and three hour lessons, but that's a whole other story). Those brochures have seen me through many an embedding. Costs, distance and any hidden extras, all combined with examples of persuasive language and cunning text features. Even better, they are free.

gemima83 likes this.
  12. seaviews

seaviews New commenter

Draw a graph plotting the levels of drama/crisis at different points of a novel.

Work out the most frequently occurring words/verbs/adjectives/lexical fields/ ...

13. beverleythomas59

beverleythomas59 New commenter

I use KAHOOT, Plickers and various quizzes to embed numeracy and literacy in lessons (I know this is mainly questioned about doing numeracy in literacy - but thought I would share some resources just in case). Additionally I use word searches, Sudoku, guess the image, hangman, I always leave 10 mins at the end of my lesson to do wind down activities before the lesson finishes. However I do implement these methods to relevant subject content throughout the lessons.
    It is tricky to embed literacy and numeracy at times, however, many of us may be doing it subconsciously.
    thanks. :)

install likes this.
  14. tess234

tess234 New commenter

I use measuring activities whereby learners use a ruler to measure their hand span or a tape measure to measure their height. They then have to line up in order from largest/tallest to smallest and group together in pairs or fours for group activities. It's a fun way to embed maths and establish groups.

15. I work in music and I tend to use relevant key words (written on board to be discussed) for each session. We also talk a lot about different rhythms, timings and theory which uses a lot of maths.

Key for me is as long as it is under the radar

16. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

Statistics can be used to prove anything- here is an excellent website that shows correlations do not equal causation: http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations. For example, the amount of films Nicolas cage is in directly correlates to how many deaths there are in a swimming pool. For gods sake, someone stop him acting! haha

This could provide an excellent starting point for discussion texts. Also, look up "write for maths" basically getting children to explain their mathematical thinking in words. Finally, why not tie your science english and maths together. Evolution- learn the facts in science, write it up in english (diary of Darwin, informational texts, leaflets etc) and include a graph or two (percentage of people how believe in evolution, perceptions toward evolution, different evidence types). You can do this for many different topics and is especially great for explanation/dicsussion/information texts as they can refer to real data rather than you saying "well, just make something up to help your argument". :)

17. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

18. mathsman

mathsman Occasional commenter

Yesterday I was asked how i could embed maths into a maths GCSE scheme or work :(

459224 likes this.
  19. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

the comment about counting words etc could be applied to calculating reading ages for various texts. maybe reading first, then predicting the age before working them out?

20. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

Gosh. That sounds difficult. How on earth would you do that? :p