1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas needed, please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Apr 9, 2012.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have plenty of time to sort this out, but thought I would start sourcing ideas sooner rather than later:
    My daughter (A) will be 13 during the spring half term and is inviting 4 friends over for a sleepover.
    I want to make a fabulous meal for them, but:
    A won't eat red meat
    K doesn't eat meat (but will eat fish)
    B won't eat fish or chilli
    R is quite adventurous I believe
    S is quite conservative I understand
    and....A thinks that her friends think we are weird with the food we eat!
    so, other than "make your own pizza" (which we have done before), have you any suggestions for the girls' supper on a Friday evening in 1/2 term?
    (with the additional proviso that I am the sole breadwinner and we are permanently broke!!)
    Thanks for any/all ideas and I will feed back to you on her choices (we had salade niçoise with chicken or tuna when B and K came over the other day)
    x

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

How about DIY curry-puffs....this is Breville toastied sandwiches with a curry filling - kind of a poor man's samosa!...we love them!
    The basic idea is curried mice...but you could do quorn and/or a veggie option....and a mild option for B and maybe S,
    And follow this with popping some corn?

Or a little 'posher'
    Could you mange a Raclette of some sort?
    Followed by a simple chocolate fondue with fruit and maeshmallows to dunk?

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

oh defintely - they would love that!

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

What about build a burger factory where you can do beef, chicken and veggie burgers with an assortment of salads, pickles, chees and condiments? We've done this before for sleepovers and parties and youngsters love it.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

how do you make the veggie burgers? I have never had to do this!

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

7. Macaroni & cheese possibly with chips?
    Pink Pudding - see thread.
    Ice cream with melted Mars Bar + a little milk, makes a nice hot sauce to pour over.

8. primarycat

primarycat Established commenter

I'd agree pasta is a good option, or I did a mexican type thing with wraps, tortillas, chilli con carne, chicken with peppers etc and grated cheese, salsa and guacamole that worked for PC Junior at a similar age (didn't spice everything so some choice for those who don't do chilli).

I'd second the icecream / sauce idea - maybe even expand with sprinkles / crushed crunchie bars / nuts / fruit / butterscotch sauce etc to make a DIY ice cream bar.

9. I did a round the world night for my daughter when she was about 11 or 12. They all wanted to dress up in outfits from different countries. I did a selection of food, eg samosas, spring rolls, pizza, pasta salad, nachos etc. They loved it and there was something for everyone.
    Spaghetti always went down well with my girls, it was the fun of eating it, slurping and getting messy lol. How about a veggi spaghetti bol? Love the ice cream bar, I did this at school with my nurture group. I got alsorts to sprinkle on their ice cream and they loved it.
    I also love the idea of a burger bar, bet they would love that! You can buy veggi burgers cheap enough, unless you want to make them that is. Could you barbecue them? Bet they would love a barbecue. My veggi daughter loves barbecue food. She loves mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and haloumi, veggi burgers with melted cheese.

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Does your butcher skin the mice for you and cut them into portions?

11. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Lol! [​IMG]

Miss W and her friends, no matter what age they were, always wanted sausage, mash and carrots, arranged in a smiley face! Jelly and ice-cream for pudding and Nigella's chocolate cake (the condensed milk one) to follow. They always had pancakes for breakfast before they went home.

Another mother always did chicken and proper chips, done in the deep fat fryer. The kids always thought that the lass was really lucky having a mum who could cook proper chips!

What about a veggie lasagne? Not overly interesting but most will eat it.

Or jacket potatoes with a variety of fillings they could choose from?

Chocolate fondue sounds great, you could use all sorts of fruit to dunk.

12. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

[​IMG] oops!
    Still.....they are teenagers, they'll never know!

And for dessert you could then do the item I remember from a restaurant menu....Hazelnut <u>Mouse</u>! (it could've bben walnut...I only remember the second word clearly!)

13. How about crepes for the main course?
    You could provide a variety of fillings and then they make the crepes themselves. Ham or cheese are the traditional fillings but you could have anything, even nutella ones.

14. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I would go with the suggestion of burgers but if you don't want to make veggie burgers you could make Glamorgan sausages which are easy and cheap to make. I have a recipe if you want one. I don't think you can go far wrong with chocolate fondue. [​IMG]

15. Raclette? OK so you might neeed a trip to Lidl to buy one but it's like an indoor BBQ, just put out dishes with meat, veg, boiled potatoes and cheese and everyone cooks their own.
    Tropical Mackrel
    Basically stuff a mackrel with pineapple and mango, wrap in foil and cook.(you can use tinned fruit)
    Buffet?

Jocobs Join? Get each child to bring a dish for everyone else, that way you only provide one dish and the location.
    Carpet picnic - usual picnic stuff seved on a cloth on the floor.

16. Sorry to hijack this thread, but could you post the recipe for this?? Sounds amazing!
    And I think the burger bar and chocolate fondue sounds like a great idea :) I wish my parties had been a bit more interesting!