1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas needed for new EYFS children induction

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by beckieboo, Apr 27, 2020.

1. beckieboo

beckieboo New commenter

Hi all,

I have been tasked with creating induction packages for the new children for September. Has anyone any ideas on how I can do this?

We normally have 3 sessions in July in school where the parents can come and play with their children in their new classrooms but obviously this is likely not to be able to happen.

I have sent a letter out welcoming them to school and we want to stay in contact with the parents every couple of weeks. Any ideas how we can do this?

Thanks in advance.

Beckie

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

If the children won't be able to visit their new classrooms in July, will this be an option in September? (Obviously assuming schools will be 'back to normal' in September.) Whatever your plan is - even if it's just provisional for now - definitely communicate that to parents. I think it would be reassuring to feel their new starter isn't missing out on any starting school stuff as a result of the lockdown and won't be thrown into the deep end in September.

Other than that, how about suggestions for things they can do at home to prepare for school? Nothing academic, just things like recognising their first name, putting shoes and coat on independently, wiping their own bottom.

beckieboo likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you want to connect every two weeks, is there space on your Tapestry/whatever subscription to add them?
    Then set various activities you want them to do by themselves, like 'put on a coat', 'use a knife and fork', 'open a yogurt' and so on for them to upload videos and you to comment?

Or have meetings for new parents on Teams or Zoom?
    Maybe even a show and tell of a favourite toy meeting with the children, so they see your face and hear your voice? (Ensure parents remain in the room and support their child throughout.)

beckieboo likes this.
  4. beckieboo

beckieboo New commenter

Yeah I have a school ready checklist to send out (thanks for helping me to remember it!) and we will definitely have to induct in September. Just want to keep communication open with them.

5. beckieboo

beckieboo New commenter

We have Tapestry but are looking to move to Tiny Tracker as the rest of the school use Educater. I am hoping when it is released in May I can have a play about and see if it does what Tapestry does and then add the parents to this. Love the idea of a toy meeting!