1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas needed for environmental art with SEN class.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by becstar76, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hi
    I was wondering if anyone had any nice ideas for simple environmental art activities for children with physical and learning disabilities. I have eight children in my class, most of whom have mobility difficulties including wheelchair users. The children also have learning disabilities ranging from moderate to severe.
    We are very fortunate to be set in 10 acres of deciduous woodland with access to a large lawned area aswell as a playground. There are accessable areas through the woods. I would like to do some outdoor art activities with the children but I am struggling for ideas. If anyone can help with suggestions, it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Hi
    I was wondering if anyone had any nice ideas for simple environmental art activities for children with physical and learning disabilities. I have eight children in my class, most of whom have mobility difficulties including wheelchair users. The children also have learning disabilities ranging from moderate to severe.
    We are very fortunate to be set in 10 acres of deciduous woodland with access to a large lawned area aswell as a playground. There are accessable areas through the woods. I would like to do some outdoor art activities with the children but I am struggling for ideas. If anyone can help with suggestions, it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!

3. go on a walk, collect stuff, make a collage with what they found
    birdseed pictures (best done outside, the seed goes all over the floor and makes a right mess - or that might just be me!)
    bark rubbings
    leaf rubbings

4. Great! Thank you :) xx

5. Hi

I am an ex-teacher an have retrained in Social & Therapeutic Horticulture. I am currently in the process of setting up a small charity using gardening programs to support the well-being of two distinct group; children and young people with Special Needs and Older people.

There is a strong overlap between gardening and environmental art & I think you might find much of interest at this website. http://www.thrive.org.uk/

I am running a project in a few weeks time where students from our local college who have been identified as vulnerable (i.e. they are off curriculum etc) are helping me work with children from the Nuture Group in the local primary school. The overall aim is to use gardening to support the self esteem and well being of both groups. I have suggested to the older children that they will be classroom assistants etc - however they seemed pretty keen on the making aspect as well! One of the activities is making a Cress Hedgehog and they all want to make one for 'a little brother or sister'!

Two books I used where. Ready, Steady GROW by the RHs and Children's Gardening by Peter Please. Many of the activities are 'immediate' i.e. making a mini wildlife garden or a garden decoration other depend on seeds germinating
    etc and so will take longer to look finished.

I worked with a large group of post 18 (mod & severe) SN in a local argicultural college for a while and I had them in mind when I put six 'table top' lessons together. The lessons are indoor or outdoor. If you would like the lesson outlines (they go with the books above) let me know & I will email them (I can't see a way of setting an attachment here!)

Regards

6. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Greencycle - that sounds like just the type of think I'm looking to do with my class this term. If I PM you my email address would you mind sending me a copy of your planning or would you be able to add them to the teaching resources? Thanks

7. Hi Loony Tunes

I should emphasis that I am offering a set of activity outlines which complement the books I mentioned rather than than a set of planning per se so - am not sure how much use they would be to you without the books. I take the role of Facilitator now rather than a Teacher & I try to measure what we do in terms of Social Impact rather than the outcomes which might be looked for in teaching. My emphasis here for example is in boosting the self esteem of a group of teenagers by giving they a role in supporting younger children with particular social and emotional needs (i.e. a Nuture Group). I am not really interested in science content for example.

You can get Ready Steady Grow RHS on Amazon for less than £5 - try that & if you still want my Activities outline you can certainly have it.

Best Wishes - Pete Scott - Devon