1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas needed for environmental art for SEN class.

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by becstar76, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hi!
    I am a special needs teacher and wondered if anyone had any nice ideas for simple environmental art activities for children with physical and learning disabilities. I have eight children, most of whom have mobility difficulties including wheelchair users. The children also have learning disabilities ranging from moderate to severe.
    We are very fortunate to be set in 10 acres of deciduous woodland with access to a large lawned area aswell as a playground. There are accessable areas through the woods. I would like to do some outdoor art activities with the children but I am struggling for ideas. If anyone can help with suggestions, it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. Hi!
    I am a special needs teacher and wondered if anyone had any nice ideas for simple environmental art activities for children with physical and learning disabilities. I have eight children, most of whom have mobility difficulties including wheelchair users. The children also have learning disabilities ranging from moderate to severe.
    We are very fortunate to be set in 10 acres of deciduous woodland with access to a large lawned area aswell as a playground. There are accessable areas through the woods. I would like to do some outdoor art activities with the children but I am struggling for ideas. If anyone can help with suggestions, it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks.

3. Hi SEN teacher needing environmental art ideas
    I worked in a lovely SEN school in Peckham in the early 2000s and we used to go outside, sit in the shade (under umbrellas with easels or pads and draw. If there are leaves, I would pick them up/ask them to if they can, they would draw round them and then colour them in. One boy made a lovely A2 sheet of colours - all the tones of green and another drew the trees with Big leaf shapes instead of tree shapes. One boy painted the landscape as it was, one girl painted her version of it. Some preferred to work with the actual leaves, handling them, so I rolled printing ink out and inked up the leaves and they made prints of the leaves on A5 paper and then we chose the best and laminated them into mats for eating off in school lunch. I hope there's enough there to get you started:)

4. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Have a look at Andy Goldsworthy's sculptures.. they might give you some ideas to create structures outside using natural objects.
    Depending on your own confidence and funding, and students' physical ability, you could consider making willow structures. You can buy withies from many educational supplies catalogues and soak them. You can easily build tower-like structures by drilling holes round a circle of wood, push one end of the withies in, and then get the students to weave in and out. These could then be pushed into the ground outside to display. Take a look at Laura Ellen Bacon for impressive willow stuff! (Or perhaps you have funds to get willow artists in? Students could help create dens and tunnels)
    Ruth Spaak is an artist based in Stratford who has created big rings from cable ties with special needs students. They are very colourful and tactile and could hang in the trees. She has a website. Will again depend on how good fine motor skills are perhaps?... but can recommend her.

5. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

...or very simply frottage pictures. Rubbings from the barks of the trees and leaves and make pictures from them.

6. Hi!
    Thanks to everyone for all those great ideas and sources of further information. xx

7. shavenhobo

shavenhobo New commenter

Take a look on here there's lots of inspiration so it may trigger some ideas. www.gladspot.com

8. Yeah, that's always a good fun one. Try overlaying the rubbings to make interesting new patterns.