1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas needed for an engaging science lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Nikki786, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

I am struggling to get some ideas for a science lesson around the Human Body either about the muscles of the arms and around the body or about the digestive system. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share some ideas with some differentiation to challenge the higher ability children. This is for a Year 3 class. Thanks in advance.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Is it for an interview?

3. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

No a lesson observation.

4. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

When I was at Junior school, our teacher taught us how the arm muscles work using some lengths of wool and knots to show the way the muscle changes shape. I remember thinking that was pretty fun, although no idea now how to make it!

Something based around this? clubs-kids.scholastic.co.uk/.../951

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I did a digestive system lesson to my Year 3s this year using a model digestive system with tights and bags etc. We actually crushed biscuits, poured them in with some water for saliva and "pooed" it out into a beaker at the end. The kids sat for the whole half-hour demo on the carpet really well, all had the chance to participate and were spellbound throughout! Maybe not for an obs, though.

6. Why not get the kids into their PE kits and onto the yard, predicting and recording which arm muscles they use for a range of simple sports drills? Maybe you could differentiate by outcome, assessing their ability to plan and carry out a fair test. Have a TA with a clipboard with the Lower KS2 Working Scientifically statutory requirements written on it, making notes whenever they hear/observe good reasoning/language. Good luck!