1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas needed for a day based around reading

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LGR22, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Stop and listen to yourself.

Are you doing this because you want to, or because you feel you have to? If it's because you feel you have to, don't. You sound as though you have had a hell of a year, don't burn yourself out.
    You are employed to teach the National Curriculum, don't lose sight of that.

2. HSX

HSX Occasional commenter

Good advice - but I'm far from burned out. Trust me. Fresh out of ideas, but not burnt out. I'm in a better place than I have been for a long time! I am very tempted just to teach a normal Literacy lesson though rather than anything special.

3. How about a bit of Literacy outside . . create large story settings of books they've enjoyed (eg/ a WW2 shelter from Goodnight Mr Tom; good ole Kensuke's Kingdom; the broom cupboard of room 13 etc) using anything they can get their hands on. Then a bit of drama and frieze framing etc, followed by an afternoon of either writing alternative endings. or poetry based on character's feelings - or even abandon writing and do some pencil sketching . . be illustrators..

or . . . . Could they create suit cases/ bags belonging to different characters that other children (or classes) have to guess to whom they belong?