1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for winter sand/water tray activities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by vancie, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Would love some ideas for my water and sand tray, we are currently doing winter topic. Last week we made ice mountains using ice cubes andhave added food colouring etc, we have put in artic animals etc. Has anybody got any other ideas I could try?

2. we have just set up rice and glitter

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Leave water outside overnight in the water tray. Colour it if you like. Try freezing fresh and salt water and ask the children to predict what they think might happen. Keep a record and refer to it when you look at the ice.

I'm assuming sub-freezing weather here!

4. We have filled a tough spot with fake snow and put polar animals in it. The children LOVE it!

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

If you have an outdoor sand tray, make sandcastles at night and they will be frozen solid in the morning - it provokes a lot of discussion.

6. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

I've pinned some nice winter sensory trays on my sensory pinterest board http://pinterest.com/ibuzzybea/sensory/