1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for using Twitter

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by anon2047, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Can I ask how you use Twitter in your school? I am wanting to set one up for my school but am still not sure how I could maximise it's use.

Ideas great fully received,

Thanks Jaime

2. I use it to illustrate how on-line social media are an offensive crime against the sensible use of time.

It's not too great a worry with the kids, mind; almost none of them use it and the overwhelming majority of them have never even heard of it.

I'd like to leave it that way.

it's more a toy for middle-aged folk who like to know what each other had for breakfast.

3. Why do you want to set one up if you have no idea how it's going to be used? Surely you should have a need first that then requires a solution, not the other way round. This, frankly, is typical of a teacher who hasn't got a clue what he's doing, and how technology should be used.

4. Ironic that you spend so much time on these forums then, isn't it!

5. Well,
    Sort of.
    But there are intelligent, motivated people on here who work in the same field as me; I've been helped a lot by them - haven't you?
    But it's in a different Word to Facebook and Twitter, don't you agree?

6. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

stuff it I am going back on twitter for an experiment that Ia m going to run with my sixth form. Top secret stuff but you crazy kids can follow me @djphillips1408

7. Nice of you to say so.

Here's a link to a recent blog post on using Twitter in the classroom. Not sure how useful it is though.

8. staxis

staxis New commenter

Don't you believe it. Most of my sixth form use it and increasingly they are turning to Twitter rather than Facebook. It it's the sixth form now...

9. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Best use of twitter I've seen (but this wasn't in a classroom) is a twitter feed behind the speaker to ask questions.
    This could allow student to anonymously post abuse etc of course but then that's a classroom management rather than an twitter issue.

10. Hi thanks for the replies and advice, I will look at those.

I am delighted that some people are prepared to help me, I am not afraid to say I do not know everything, the day I do I will not be much of a teacher!

Thanks
    Jaime