1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for using old atlases- art/geography

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pjach, Jan 5, 2016.

1. pjach

pjach New commenter

My school has just purchased some new atlases as our old ones were really out of date. The old atlases are going to be thrown away unless I use them. I'd really like to do an art or/ and geography project with my year 5 class but I'm currently lacking in inspiration! Our current topic is earth and space (mountains, volcanos and space), it would be great to link it to that. Has anyone done anything with old atlases before? Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do?

Thanks a lot!

2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Could you make hot air balloons with them (the ones where you blow up balloons, cover them with layers of glue and paper - in this case the pages of the atlases - , leave to dry and then pop the balloons)? Especially as you are doing earth and space too! I remember doing this with newspaper when I was at Primary school and loving it.

Landofla likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Other idea would be to use the pages as 'background paper' to a Geography Topic board.

Landofla likes this.
  4. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Great suggestions! I'd love a tonne of old atlases to use.

Make cootie catchers and have countries and capitals under the flaps? Or countries & rivers/ mountains?

Origami? Kirigami?

Paper mache is probably a good way to go. How about creating a mountain range with them?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

1. Collage.
    2. Landscapes.
    3. Cut into squares (using their printed gids) and use to create "mosaic" pictures.
    4. Origami.
    5. As canvases to paint on (I knew an artist who believed the best paper to paint on was the Times).
    6. Backing paper for display, greens on bottom, blues on top.
    7. Butterfly wings cut out from maps, (veining).
    8. Ceate 3D models of hills / volcanoes / mountain ranges with newspaper papier mache, eggboxes, etc, the final topmost paper layer being formed using appropriate atlas pages and images.

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

You're welcome!

7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

@pjach

Let us know what you decide - some great ideas here!

8. pjach

pjach New commenter

Some great inspiration here. Thank you everybody for your time and ideas.

9. missied

missied New commenter

Jigsaws
    Letters for display
    Laminate and use for co-ordinates work, place names, symbol hunts