1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for units of work for year 8

Discussion in 'English' started by anon8315, Dec 10, 2011.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I am rewriting the SoW for ks3 in my department.
    I have a <u>very</u> low ability year 8 class! We have read Face (autumn 1) and done a non-fiction scheme of work (autumn 2.)
    Any ideas for what I can do with them in Jan/Feb? Some are barely literate and struggle to read and understand even very basic texts. Handwriting for most of them is awful. They also have the attention spans of gnats! I'd really be interested in a unit which pushes basic skills of literacy, handwriting and spelling - any ideas or reccommendations?
    Thanks.

2. anon8315

I am rewriting the SoW for ks3 in my department.
    I have a <u>very</u> low ability year 8 class! We have read Face (autumn 1) and done a non-fiction scheme of work (autumn 2.)
    Any ideas for what I can do with them in Jan/Feb? Some are barely literate and struggle to read and understand even very basic texts. Handwriting for most of them is awful. They also have the attention spans of gnats! I'd really be interested in a unit which pushes basic skills of literacy, handwriting and spelling - any ideas or reccommendations?
    Thanks.

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Harry Potter.
    I have a SoW somewhere, but it's a literacy based unit wherein you look at all the 'made up' names and find their origins.
    It can then lead to a piece of fantasy writing where they make up their own names.

4. anon8315

Thank you; I don't think they would be able to cope with that level of writing, though. [​IMG]
    It's work aimed at handwriting, spelling, basic skills that they desperately need!

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I promise it works, though you'll need to scaffold it for them. I'm doing it at the moment and I have kids writing at Levels 1 and 2 and reading ages of 5-8.
    Google (I'm not sure where the site is @ the mo) for handwriting practice. There are several sites where you can download sheets.

6. I've uploaded a SoW for my low ability Year 8s based on fairytales. The satire part goes over most of their heads so it's just referred to as 'when you make it funny' in our class now. It literally involves writing a small part of a short fairytale each lesson. You may not love the whole thing but it could give you somewhere to start.

With handwriting, why don't you buy booklets or print lots of sheets of handwriting paper with the different lines for different letter sizes and get them to do their writing on there? My students with weakest handwriting use those sheets stuck into their exercise books.