1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for tuition centre

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by lorettar, Jul 27, 2018.

1. lorettar

lorettar New commenter

Hi,

I am a mathematics teacher who has been running her own private tuition business for the past three years and now looking to open up a tuition centre. We are all aware of how many centres there are already opened but I really want to find a gap in the market or to run a centre that is original to all the others.

Does anyone have any good ideas or downfalls of other tuition centres that you'd like to share?
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions].

Thanks!

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Tuition centres are a rip-off! Stick to what you are doing, offering honest one-on-one support, and not trying to make money off the backs of other teachers' work.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Why should anyone give you their profitable ideas?

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

As a qualified teacher, I would not pay commission to anyone else. I would not work in a tuition centre. I like to set my own times and prices. I would not work in a tuition centre

I have been self employed now for six years. I do not pay anyone else. I do not rely on anyone else turning up for work. I am not responsible for anyone else. I do my own tax and it is quite straightforward. I earn enough money

I would stick to what you are doing

5. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

As a tutor my main aim is to offer the best possible service for my clients and I don't think that tuition centres offer this.
    I don't think existing clients would necessarily be prepared to move across to a new centre when they are used to one-to-one tuition from you.
    There would be extra costs such as rent for any premises and there would be a lot of extra admin.
    As a tutor I sometimes get approached by tuition centres asking me to work for them for the equivalent of the minimum wage or even as a volunteer. So am suspicious that many of these centres only are profitable because they don't treat their staff properly. When I ask them how they are funded and where they obtain their clients from, they are very reluctant to answer my questions. So I would also have concerns about the type of clients that would sign up to this type of tuition and how reliable they would be.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. catbefriender

catbefriender Senior commenter

Couldn't agree more. A potential client rang me up today to ask about tutoring her daughter for the impending 11 plus exams in September. I asked her where her child was in terms of school levels, i.e working towards, at or above the expected standard. She had no idea other than she was on the top table at school. I am in a very badly performing London borough so being on the top table in a local school means absolutely nothing. Anyway she told me she was paying £450 for a 6 week 11 plus preparation course where the children are tested for 2 hours every day and are give an hour 1 to 1 every week to go over the stuff they don't know.

I attempted to explain to her that the teachers in this centre are probably not qualified teachers. She said the woman who runs it is and I said yes, but your daughter isn't being taught by her is she. No she said, she is just being tested. However this qualified teacher will tutor her daughter for £30 an hour 1-2-1 if she so wished. What a joke!

And a lot of these tuition centres' clientele are usually ethnic minority groups, not the UK born savvy ones who know what's what. I told her that £450 is 15 hours of proper 1-2-1 tuition with a state qualified teacher @ £30 an hour, and some are charging £25 an hour, which would make it 18 hours.

What a total rip off. Testing, testing and more testing.

An African saying is, 'Before you take the pig to market to weigh it, before you sell it, you have to feed it first.'

Fancy exploiting these parents by just administering tests and more tests EVERY day over the summer holidays. Who cruel is that? And the chances are most of these children will fail.

@doctoryes I am inundated with calls from tuition centres offering me the equivalent of one hour's tutoring for a full session with 12 children many of whom are currently well below the national average.

There really ought to be some regulation over these centres that are staffed by one QTS and loads of undergraduate students and making thousands out of the poorest members of our communities.

7. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

One of my year 10 students worked in a tuition centre on Saturday mornings. She readily admitted she couldn't do most of the questions the children were given and just marked their work using the mark scheme.

8. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

Actually I think you are being very generous in thinking the centres are staffed by one QTS and undergraduate students. If you look on the websites for some well known tuition centres there is usually no requirement for QTS and one well known franchise states there is no need for the franchisee to even have a background in education. I think the "tutors" are more likely to be still at school rather than undergraduates.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It sounds like a gap in the market would be for a centre where all staff are qualified. However, I doubt if you would find many qualifies teachers willing to work for less than they would usually get, or parents willing to pay the correct rate for a qualified teacher. However, I am willing to be proved wrong - it would be good to see a tuition centre that does not rip off parents or teachers.

langteacher likes this.
  10. goodsela

goodsela New commenter

Yes I do have an idea to address a gap in the market, but I wouldn't like to share it on a public message board

11. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Kip McGrath only use qualified teachers, at least, the last time I looked.

There’s one in my town where two or three qualified teacher mums (who haven’t gone back to work in school yet) do a few hours a week. Don’t know enough about it to know what they get paid.

12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

The market already seems to be glutted with tuition centres, any way.

13. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

There are gaps in the market but it depends if you have the knowledge and Maths skills to exploit it.