1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for tofu please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Greenhousegirl, May 3, 2011.

1. Hi, this is my first post on cookery so be gentle with me please! (I have been reading the obesity thread.). I would like to introduce tofu into my diet as an alternative protein source to my usual lentils or beans - I am vegetarian - any ideas on how to make it tasty?

2. Hi, this is my first post on cookery so be gentle with me please! (I have been reading the obesity thread.). I would like to introduce tofu into my diet as an alternative protein source to my usual lentils or beans - I am vegetarian - any ideas on how to make it tasty?

3. I have tofu in stir fries.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I was veggie for 10 years and never worked out how to make tofu tasty! It is alright in asian style soups eg miso...or as the Chinese treat it, deep fried to give it some texture and highly seasoned with sauces. I don't really buy the "marinate it and it'll taste great" line of thought. It is what it is, regardless.
    Sorry, that wasn't really helpful. Hopefully the others can come up with some blinding ideas!

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

Sorry - I have never found tofu tasty (or even digestible!) despite wanting to!

6. Thank you for your honest replies. I have tried a marinade before and found it ineffective in disguising the basic taste and texture but I was hoping for miracles here! Has anyone tried using it in a pudding or cake type recipe?

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I've found the ready fried stuff you can get in Chinese supermarkets to be the best bet - it's all puffed up and solid, and is a bit like eating large chunks of omelette - it's usually called deep fried bean curd. Works well in stir-fries, especially with lots of strong flavours, as it's still a bit insipid on its own.
    This:
    [​IMG]
    Friends of mine gently fry the silken/firm stuff in oil and flavour it with soy sauce - it's very good. I've attempted to recreate this and always end up with an unplatable mess on the bottom of the frying pan. I've no idea how people manage to cook it without fit falling to pieces.
    So, other than an occasional purchase of the pre-fried stuff (which is only accessible if you have a Chinese supermarket within reach), then I tend to only eat it when dining out, and then only occasionally. I don't really see the point in the stuff.

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have a recipe at home for a sweet chilli tofu stirfry at home - my vegan friends love it. I'll post it up for you tonight.
    As for using it in desserts - one of my vegan friends did make a chocolate mousse using tofu. It was truly horrific. Almost enough to put you off eating chocolate ever again.

9. Si N. Tiffick

If they were vegan, they'll not have used chocolate in the mousse- and carob (the the usual vegan alternative to chocolate) is absolutely reeeeevolting. Thoroughly unpalatable.

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

sorry to be stupid - what aspect of chocolate is not vegan?
    I can see that cheap milk chocolate woudl be out, but what is there in good quality dark chocolate (such as you would use for a mousse) that is an animal product?

11. Si N. Tiffick

It's the milk- I know my macrobiotic mother in law used to use carob in place of chocolate though, as you say, some high quality chocolates are whey free and cassein free.

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Me neither. I keep on trying it in the hope it will taste of something other than snot, but I am always disappointed.
    What to do with tofu? Sling it in the bin!

13. BelleDuJour

But most vegan food is hideous anyway!

14. egyptgirl

Ooh! Controversial!
    I think vegan food is perhaps misunderstood - I ate a virtually vegan diet in my teens (no meat/fish and very rarely dairy) and I never considered the food to be hideous!

15. BelleDuJour

I was vegetarian for many years. Vegetarian food is great as the inclusion of eggs and dairy make it so much more varied and palatable.
    I've cooked for vegans and it really is a pain! By any standards it is very limited. Really just veggies, cereals, rice, pasta (but not the glorious silkiness of egg pasta), fruit and..............TOFU!!!! Arghhhhhhhhhh!!!

16. egyptgirl

I have about 5 friends who are vegan who I dread inviting to dinner. I try to see it as a challenge - something to keep me on my toes!

17. henriette

henriette New commenter

so proper chocolate is OK, just not the cheap ****?

18. Si N. Tiffick

Henriette, I sometimes wonder if you realise how rude your posts come across in print. I recall you being incredibly rude to nick when he was a newbie here and feel that you're giving me the sharp edge of your tongue for some reason. Perhaps you don't mean them to read that way- I guess I'll need to give you the benefit of the doubt (again)
    (deep breath)
    Most chocolate, "proper" or "cheap ****", dark, milk or white contains some form of milk- the reason is that cocoa solids and cocoa butter need to be emulsified to make the mix together. This is usually done with some derivative of milk (may be listed as milk proteins/ cassein or somesuch). Vegan chocolate uses soy protein instead of milk protein as an emulsifier.
    This website may help:
    http://www.chocolate-cioccolata.com/vegan.htm

19. BelleDuJour

H is not rude.
    She is a lovely lady!
    Some chocolate is, however, cheap crap!

20. Vegan food can be very yummy! I often cook it (although I am not a vegan).
    I was a veggie for years and mostly still eat veggie and I think tofu depends very much on where you buy it and the quality of it.
    I like to marinade it in honey and soya sauce and then stir fry it and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
    I also adore soya bolognese - I buy the minced tofu from my local health food shop and then add my usual toms and herbs.
    I have also made chilli with it.
    I also often make a pumpkin curry with tofu cubes added and roasted almonds, which is very yummy.
    If you buy minced tofu (or just crumble up your own) you can make spicy burgers.
    You need to add more herbs and spices to tofu than you do to meat - it can be very bland otherwise but the advantage with tofu is that is absorbs other flavours really well.