1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for the book corner wall please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Amarie, Aug 22, 2008.

1. I have limited wall space near a bookshelf which I call my 'book corner'!
    I would like to use the wall to promote reading .... I;m sure you know the kind of thing 'Good readers ....' or 'Reading is important becaues ....'
    I have got some quotes about reading such as 'a book is the most effective weapon against intolerance and ignorance' etc and wondered about putting those up on the wall, but wonder if they are a bit 'heavy' for Year 4.[​IMG]
    Also pondered about good quotes from children's books - but can't think of any![​IMG]
    I have had a look on parasites paradise (always my first port of call!) but I can't see anything really. There are a few book corner displays and ideas for putting up book reviews, but I want something softer and informal and cuddly - the hcildren really need some reading time.
    I have spent quite a lot of money (my own!) on books for this class so would welcome any suggestions of motivational stuff for the wall.
    Thanks!

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

How about some smallish (e.g. postcard size) bits of paper on which the pupils can write their own reviews.

Or perhaps a Top Gear style Cool Wall - you could copy the front covers of books and move them up or down, but only pupils who had read the book could move it?

3. www.instantdisplay.co.uk

Good site for colourful posters and I think there's a freebie one called 'Good Readers'.

There's also a set of author posters.

4. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

There are some on Trinity. I also downloaded some posters of well known footballers reading that I can email to you if you like. How about some question type ones too?

"What did you feel the author did well in this book?"

"What layouts did the author use effectively and how?" I think I got some of these from the resource bank.

5. I love the top gear idea! I'm trying to think of something for my room and something for the school library.

Any ideas for the school library - I want some sort of ongoing challenge or competititon to try and encourgae reading

6. I like to have a display that changes every half term, that promotes different genres/themes of book. I've had things like poetry, information, scary books, adventure stories etc. I have taken photos of the book covers and laminated them to put on the board, printed some questions related to that type of book and display some of the books from the book corner on top of the book case.
    This year I'm going to have a folder of different book review sheets and reading activities that the children can take during free reading or any spare moments, and those could be displayed. There are loads of book review sheets on primary resources.

7. Thank you very much - why didn't I think of all those ideas!?!

I had completely forgotten about those football posters - thank you for the link.
    I love the idea of a Top Gear type wall, I could easily photocopy the covers of some of the new books I bought and laminate them, then have coloured rosettes of 1st 2nd 3rd etc and children can move them up and down through positions..... could link well to book reviews which could be put on the wall too. If I had a scanner and unlimited funds for printer ink (have just sent off for 2 more colour cartridges) I could scan in the book covers and print them off.
    Sorry I can't thank you all individually by name but I can't see all the posts (grr![​IMG])

I will look at the 'parasites' sites that you mentioned - I have been combing them, but am probably just a bit tired.[​IMG]

8. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

If you want to waste you ink printing them, why not just photocopy the covers in black and white - then get a few quick finishers to colour them in in the right colours before you laminate and put up!

9. https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=3012400

Are these any good to you? I made them for a library display.

I love marmite... I am responsible for our school library and we have a new competition every half term. We only give small prizes. It is proving to be more and more popular. When I come back from my week away I'll sort out what we have done so far if you like. We tend to do a separate one for KS 1&2 (school only goes to Y4

10. That would be brilliant thank you mug!!!

11. I have the same problems as you as we have very little space in classroom.
    After a little re arranging I managed to make a space just big enough to read in but wanted to make it more inviting for my year ones. I had a corner which was bare wall so i turned it into a book tree. When the children read a book and they like it they take a leaf, write their name on it and the book they have read and place it on the tree. I am hoping that by the end of the year it will be covered in leaves. I hope this will encourage them to read books and for others to look and see what books their class mates like and try them for themselves.

12. All you do is to look

At a page in this book

Because that's where we always will be.

No book ever ends

When it's full of your friends

The Giraffe and the Pelly and me.

I have this along with other quotes from Dr. Seuss etc.