1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for teaching PDOs in French Passé Composé

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by siankerr, Jan 15, 2018.

1. siankerr

siankerr New commenter

Any ideas of a real whizz-bang lesson to impart PDOs in a French lesson would be very welcome....

2. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Explain that all avoir verbs used to agree with the object. Then get pupils to do some examples as a dictation one word at a time. It's annoying because you can't do the agreement with the normal word order. Apparently that's why it was dropped - scribes didn't like to mess up what they'd already written when it was dictated. BUT if the object somehow got in front, then they could do the agreement.
    Apart from that, just tell them it's there to make them look better than other pupils in the exam so they should pay attention and get it sorted.

cathr likes this.
  3. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

If you join the MFL teachers lounge or the Global Innovative Language Teachers on Facebook, you'll probably get a lot of responses. I'd respond if I had anything whizzbangy, but my mind went blank!

4. cathr

cathr New commenter

I would suggest that many native speakers don't know how to manage them either:))