1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ideas for teaching media c/w really quickly?

Discussion in 'English' started by msloops, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm teaching GCSE English Resit and haven't done Media coursework yet with my class...time is really of the essence and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a piece of coursework I could do super-quickly, in a couple of lessons (plus time at home for them to write it up)?
    Thanks!

2. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

Watch the opening scenes of a film. Write an essay on how the director engages the audience in the first ten minutes.
    Good films - Saving Private Ryan, Jaws, - both very old fashioned but I am sure there are others!

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

But make sure you have an explicit audience and purpose for C and above. They need quite a lot of preparation to hit the 'adapting style' criteria, unless they're already quite good at this. Probably not, if they're a resit group.

4. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'd advise just watching a film and getting them to write a film review. I wouldn't do the analysis thing as it will require lots of teaching about camera angles etc and doesn't really meet the criteria anyway.
    Plus, if you teach how to write the film review, you can also teach exam skills like sentence structures/beginnings, punctuation etc. This assignment is marked for writing just like section B on both English papers.

5. Hi, I would not do film! They need to watch it a few times, any absentees are a pain and they can't take it home.
    If you study a paper copy of an advert or two [no more] they can analyse it/them in terms of presentation and language and practise for Paper 1 section A [AQA] at the same time. They can take it home to work on.

6. GloriaSunshine

But you don't have to 'teach' the film. They could choose their own and write a review in the style of Empire magazine or similar. Although it's analyse/review/comment, the marks are for the quality of writing and not the analysis as in Paper 1 section A.

7. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

But this does not meet the criteria for the media coursework. They need to demonstrate punctuation and sentence structures for effect, adaptation to audience and purpose....not easy to do.

8. Of course you can demonstrate punctuation and sentence structures for effect when analysing!
    Purpose is fairly straightforward too. Audience is trickier but as most classes can't do this when writing film reviews anyway...
    I think film review is a difficult genre to teach. They have so little experience of reading good ones.

9. GloriaSunshine

They have to adapt style using appropriate vocabulary and syntax for a Grade C. Assured is a B. It doesn't have to be a film review but something like that hits the criteria whereas analysing print media in the way that they need to do on Paper 1 doesn't.

10. GloriaSunshine

Meant to add that if you did want to use printed materials, you could do a magazine article criticising or applauding a controversial advertisement. Film reviews go down better though and there are plenty of examples to look at to demonstrate structure and conventions.