1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for teaching mass reception-links to stories?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hwhith1, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Hi
    Does anyone have any good ideas to teach mass in PSRN through story, already thought of Gigantic turnip as we are starting growing topic so it would link nicely to other activities were doing during week. Does anyone have any other stories?
    In the past ive found lists of books on the web that people have made under lots of different themes such as weight, shape, counting etc but cant find them at mo.
    Also if anyone has any nice ideas for whole class activities during teaching input would be great?

2. Hi
    Does anyone have any good ideas to teach mass in PSRN through story, already thought of Gigantic turnip as we are starting growing topic so it would link nicely to other activities were doing during week. Does anyone have any other stories?
    In the past ive found lists of books on the web that people have made under lots of different themes such as weight, shape, counting etc but cant find them at mo.
    Also if anyone has any nice ideas for whole class activities during teaching input would be great?

3. Mr Grumpy's Outing - this would link nice to the water area, exploring floating/sinking and you could easily do a small world for re-telling.

4. Theres a lovely book called 'ones a snail, ten is a crab' which is about the amount of legs animals have, so 1 is a snail, 2 is a bird, 3 is a bird and a snail... etc.
    I did this with my class last year and they were doing their 4, 5, 6 and 8 times tables by the end of the week's topic, it was great and I cant wait to do it again with this year's class.

5. Stories about balloons, such as 'The Blue Balloon' by Mick Inkpen could provide an interesting perspective on mass. Children could notice how an inflated balloon is large but light and compare it to an uninflated balloon and other large, small items of different mass.

6. I read 'Titch' by Pat Hutchins, talking about relative sizes.
    Then I show them 3 toys, the lightest is Titch's, the heaviest is his brother Pete's and the one in the middle is his sister Mary's. That's the class teach bit, as we discover together which is which, using problem solving skills to compare the three objects.
    I then do smaller group work, with 'packed lunch' items, 3 fruits, 3 drinks, 3 packets of crisps, 3 cereal bars, 3 dairy things (cheese, yoghurt etc) and work out who has which item for their lunch, again the lightest for Titch etc.
    I've used this context for a number of years and the children have loved it.