1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for teaching excluded teenagers who are working toward different controlled assessments

Discussion in 'English' started by newby28, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Hi,

Has anyone experienced feeling over whelmed, alone in the department that you teach in, with the manager not knowing about the subject you teach, and a feeling that support staff 'control' the department (as one has a close family member who is up there in the hierarchy of the system)?

On top of this, the students are excluded 14 -16 year old teenagers who join my class (without any warning from the lead learning mentor who organises new student arrivals) throughout the year, and I am expected to get each and everyone of these students through their controlled assessments (with many starting with me in year 11) on my own.

As a consequence of above, I am feeling so trapped in the environment and my motivation for teaching these teenagers, who several members of staff have refused to teach, is diminishing rapidly. I have taught them for a year now and have been threatening, sworn at, undermined by support staff and now, have been given an action plan for work after my manager called an 'informal' meeting with HR for me not producing a classroom with posters, not having the controlled assessments set out where they can be seen, not having a clear plan of dates for assessments (I'm the only English teacher there) and for not making an appointment to view the new SOW template. I feel that she is taking the completely unaware that she has never praised me (I know as teachers, that's a rare concept anyway for many).

I know that I am guilty for being slightly disorganised this year, however; as many English teachers can appreciate this year, the new spec takes a little while to get to grips with, especially on your own and with everyone at different stages. I have approximately thirty students in total, and have support two hours a week. I am struggling to teach students who could be a lot easier to teach if they didn't threaten staff, swear, walk out of class when they feel like it and not get reprimanded when exceptionally rude to staff. So, to get them all through assessments when there is no other English tutor other than me is a struggle. Ideas please?????

All I want to do is escape somewhere!! Advice anyone, please!!

Thanks in advance

2. Hi,

Has anyone experienced feeling over whelmed, alone in the department that you teach in, with the manager not knowing about the subject you teach, and a feeling that support staff 'control' the department (as one has a close family member who is up there in the hierarchy of the system)?

On top of this, the students are excluded 14 -16 year old teenagers who join my class (without any warning from the lead learning mentor who organises new student arrivals) throughout the year, and I am expected to get each and everyone of these students through their controlled assessments (with many starting with me in year 11) on my own.

As a consequence of above, I am feeling so trapped in the environment and my motivation for teaching these teenagers, who several members of staff have refused to teach, is diminishing rapidly. I have taught them for a year now and have been threatening, sworn at, undermined by support staff and now, have been given an action plan for work after my manager called an 'informal' meeting with HR for me not producing a classroom with posters, not having the controlled assessments set out where they can be seen, not having a clear plan of dates for assessments (I'm the only English teacher there) and for not making an appointment to view the new SOW template. I feel that she is taking the completely unaware that she has never praised me (I know as teachers, that's a rare concept anyway for many).

I know that I am guilty for being slightly disorganised this year, however; as many English teachers can appreciate this year, the new spec takes a little while to get to grips with, especially on your own and with everyone at different stages. I have approximately thirty students in total, and have support two hours a week. I am struggling to teach students who could be a lot easier to teach if they didn't threaten staff, swear, walk out of class when they feel like it and not get reprimanded when exceptionally rude to staff. So, to get them all through assessments when there is no other English tutor other than me is a struggle. Ideas please?????

All I want to do is escape somewhere!! Advice anyone, please!!

Thanks in advance

3. Hello, message me and I will send you my email. I don't know how much help I can be but I am in a similar position and can be 'someone to talk to'! at least....I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL![​IMG]

4. zenak2005

zenak2005 New commenter

Hi - I too teach in a pupil referall unit, year 11 GCSE. Given the nature of the setting and the fact that students arrive at various times, from various backgrounds, I feel that the new GCSE is impossible to deliver in that setting. I tried to implement it and found the controlled assessment element logistically impossible. For this reason, I am delivering the Edexcel Certificate (formerly igcse) it is equivalent to GCSE and is regarded as equal by colleges etc. Personally I find the anthology a bit tedious in parts but at least it gives students the opportunity to achieve a GCSE as the final exam is 90% of the total mark (10% speaking and listening). I appreciate that this is a more 'practical' answer than an empathic one, but hopefully the previous poster has been able to provide more of that. I wish you luck and support.