1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for starters

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I don't do starters as such any more - I have bowls of marinated olives, houmous with veggie nibbles, salami chunks, mini bruchetti etc on the table so that people can pick and chat while I am finishing off the main course. I find it makes for a more relaxed evening and there is less leaping up and down from the table.
    Less washing up too!

2. 1. Mains: Lemon chicken, grilled salmon, stir fry veggies, plain rice. Dessert: Chocolate pudding which is gooey in the inside.
    2. I pretty much eat anything and my guests aren't too fussy eaters either. Just wanted something different as I usually make either my own homemade sausage rolls or fishcakes.

3. That's true it would make life easier....

4. Some sort of fritter, sweet corn or courgette might be nice and would work in well with the other nibbles you have mentioned. I have a wonderful recipe for a fetta and courgette fritter. The great thing about fritters is that you can cook them ahead of time then reheat in the oven which also means they can be clean up before your guests arrive.

5. Thanks for the suggestion sounds like a great idea - I saved a recipe on my computer a while back for courgette fritters, I will try and find it.

6. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I was out for dinner last week and my friend had those lovely sweet red peppers, halved and grilled with goats' cheese and pine nuts, served on top of rocket and dressed in a balsamic dressing. It looked beautiful and she said it was fab.

7. At Christmas we used packet puff pastry in rounds in a Yorkie pudding tray - filled with caramelised red onions & goat's cheese, mango chutney & blue cheese, cherry tomatoes & balsamic, etc. Easy, yummy & lots of them! [​IMG]

8. Ooh, fenty, that sounds yum! How about a soup? There's so many yummy ones, and it can be made ahead. I must say I'm partial to a Thai fishcake starter!

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Anything that can b
    e made ahead so soup is a good one, or a seafood platter with salad, or a nice salad (Ceasar or spinach and bacon), or just good quality smoked salmon or homemade pate.