1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for speaking/listening activities at KS3 and KS4....

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by marmot.morveux, Nov 5, 2011.

1. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

We seem to be talking about teaching and learning less and less on this forum so I thought I would start a thread that could enable us all to share good practice.....

Speaking is a skill I know I need to encourage my pupils to do more but often I end up reverting back to reading and writing, especially if it's a 'behaviourally challenged' group.. ;-)

I'll put them into categories and it would be great if as many of you as possible could contribute an idea to each category;

Category 1: KS3.
    Category 2: KS4.
    Category 3: Behaviourally challenging groups.
    Category 4: Encouraging spontaneous talk.

Roleplay. How many of you still do roleplay with your classes? It's something I haven't done for a while because it was under the old specification. However, I know that when I have tried it, some of my classes have loved it, because it brings reality into the classroom.

Battleships: This has worked well with 'naughty' classes as it disguises the speaking.
    Pupils work in pairs, each with a grid, across the top of the grid, it is marked say, activities, down the side is opinions. Each pupil marks '5 ships or crosses' on their grid. In order to 'sink' a ship, each pupil gives an activity and an opinion. They get another go, if they sink a ship. Play continues until all the ships are sunk. This game is easy to prepare.

Quick on the draw: this is good for revision of nouns. Pupils work in groups, each pupil has about 8 pieces of small paper. You say each word in the foreign language, the pupils then draws the object. Once each object is drawn, the pupils then pass their pieces of paper to another person in the group. The game then works like 'snap'. You say the word, the first person to put the paper with that picture on into the middle wins. Eventually the pupils can take it in turns to be the person who says the word.

Many thanks,

MM

2. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Please excuse my formatting; my laptop appears to be malfunctioning!

3. derekdalek

derekdalek New commenter

speed dating - great laugh and a good icebreaker for the beginning of the year. You can do it with lots of topics for discussion though.

4. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Thanks for starting this thread, mm!
    I like throwing a cuddly duck round the room - I ask a question, throw the duck, and the P holding the duck answers the question. It squeaks and the opportunity to squeeze him and hear him squeak seems to make it worth having to answer a question! With sensible groups you can also get the pupils to throw the duck and ask a question (I do this with 6th form and they like it a lot).
    Cut out paper telephone handsets and then do a normal roleplay but with pupils holding the 'phone' to their ears. Amazing how enthusiastic they are the first time you do this!
    Daft roleplays can work with certain groups. My current Y10 group recently did a role play where they sat opposit each other, either side of the desk. One person was a stubbornly unhealthy patient and the other an exasperated doctor. I gave the patient a card to read out to start them off and then let them talk. After 2 minutes, everyone moved one place to the left to pick up the next role play (and swap from patient to doctor) etc. That kind of activity doesn't always encourage accurate talk but it gets pupils communicating.
    With KS3, I LOVE dice work. It adds an element of spontaneity and makes the activity more tactile. I have some beautiful sparkly dice which I picked up at a craft fair. On the board I usually project the question, a sentence starter, and 6 (or 12) pictures to elicit vocab. E.g. "A: Was sind deine Hobbys? Nummer X! B: Ich (verb) gern/nicht gern (noun)." Pupil A then rolls the dice, asks the question, gives B a number and they use the relevant picture to answer the question. A harder version could be that A asks "(verb)st du gern (noun)?" and B then answers - that way both pupils practice the vocab and different verb forms.
    Dice work also works for open-ended questions at KS3 and KS4 (and KS5!) e.g. pupils have 2 dice; die 1 determines the question (usually 6 Qs on a given topic e.g. family) and die 2 determines a word or phrase which the pupil has to use in their answer (e.g. Ich finde / ich meine, dass / manchmal ...). Pupils rolls die 1 and asks the relevant question, pupil 2 rolls die 2 and answers using the word or phrase given, and then pupil 1 corrects their answer if necessary.
    And you can practise grammar with dice work e.g. first roll = subject (1=ich, 2=du etc.), second roll = verb (fahren/gehen/essen ...). Make it harder and add in 3rd roll = tense (1 or 2 = present, 3 or 4 = past, 5 or 6 = future). I sometimes use 3 rolls with modal verbs (subject + modal verb + infinitive e.g. ich + dürfen + ins Kino gehen --> ich darf ins Kino gehen).
    With all of the above activities, I model the activity with a couple of pupils first of all, then I 'patrol' the classroom while pupils are talking and stop them if there are any major issues, or give general feedback at the end. I try to use the vocab they've been practising to ask questions on dismissal or when taking the register at the start of the next lesson.
    Hope that helps.