1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for school reading challenge

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Leiakess, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Leiakess

Leiakess New commenter

Hi. I've just started teaching in a new school and am leading reading. One of the aims of the sdp is to promote reading throughout the school. The children generally read at home and parental support is good but they don't tend to read much of a variety of things. Currently there is a 'challenge' involving reading books of different genres and the being awarded bronze, silver, gold awards but it's been going for years and has lost momentum. A new challenge is needed! Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas or things that work well in their school?

2. Firerose

Firerose New commenter

It's a long way off and probably won't help you now but I'd definitely recommend signing up for read for my school. www.readformyschool.co.uk.
    It opens every January and the children are registered and have a finite time to read as many genres and texts from a digital library as possible. They collect genre badges ,can write essays and compete for awards to read diversely. The software is now available for iPads, phones and tablets so they can read at home and in class.

As I say, it's no open right now but you can register interest and they will email when there are updates. I've done it for four years now and it really piques their interest!

3. Leiakess

Leiakess New commenter

Looks fab. Thank you!