1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Safer Internet Day

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by blaniosh, Jan 18, 2016.

1. blaniosh

blaniosh New commenter

To help schools prepare for the 9th February I will be running two workshops at the BETT 2016 show on Thursday 21st January (2pm) and Friday 22nd January (3pm).

Do come along to the NAACE stand (D455) to find some great ideas for your school to deliver on Safer Internet Day or beyond.

If you cannot make BETT then I'll be running some webinars on Safer Internet Day itself. More details.

[​IMG]

Regards
    Brett @brettlaniosh

2. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Gosh blanny!

What on earth did you suggest? Does the safeguarding team need to visit you?

3. blaniosh

blaniosh New commenter

:) I am trying to find out what the problem is as I ran my post through the boards T&C's/community guidelines before I posted.
    I need to find out how to send a PM to "the Community & Social Media Assistant you can send a PM to userTES_Caz "

4. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

still, hilarious that the lead article in 'Safer Internet Day' gets pulled by mods

blaniosh likes this.
  5. blaniosh

blaniosh New commenter

An update - following my presentation at BETT I met with a TES representative who was very helpful and assured me that this forum issue would be resolved.

6. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I suspect there may be something good on the CAS website regarding safer internet and how to code an antivirus programme!

7. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

TonyGT likes this.
  8. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

I generally try to avoid the usual scare mongering when talking about internet safety to my students. I've been to plenty of talks before where someone far less knowledgeable than his audience talks about 'online grooming' and how posing in your school uniform for a Facebook picture WILL get you raped. It's just massively counterproductive and reeks of Reefer Madness paranoia.

I'm far from being 'down with the kids' but I can count on one hand (actually probably on one finger) the amount of times I've seen someone deliver a talk on internet safety which didn't make me cringe.

I've used a few things from the book @war by Shane Harris this year and last year as there are some really interesting case studies on phishing and data protection from sources inside the NSA.

9. blaniosh

blaniosh New commenter

Totally with you TonyGT. When delivering online safety messages to any audience I always start from the positive (and fun) aspects that technology can bring.

10. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Still amazes me how many still think it's all about facebook yet facebook for most pupils is now a thing of the past and few use it - more for the older generation. Often interesting to do a straw poll on social media they use I often find this interesting (and how it has changed over the years)

outy likes this.
  11. outy

outy New commenter

I overheard a few pupils talking about Periscope. Apparently you broadcast live video of yourself for others to view.. Makes no sense to me but that is the age we live in now. I did an assembly two weeks ago, I asked my year 4 pupils to talk about what they want to be when they grow up. Two of them said Youtubers!

blaniosh likes this.
  12. robyn_banned_again

robyn_banned_again New commenter

I think the biggest issue with internet safety is not danger from strangers and personal details as is the current message given to children. I think self esteem, bullying, popularity and the rise of the selfie generation is a far bigger issue. How many friends do you have online, what if no one likes my post, what comments are there, what do people think of me, what image do I need to present etc. Plus the associated bullying / texting of images that go with that.

You know when you don't get many birthday or Christmas cards. The social media generation get that feeling when they post and nothing happens. I get that feeling and I am way past that age group.

Youtubers - but what if your video gets no likes or no views. What if your friend has more subscribers than you? Schools have a responsibility as well as parents.

No wonder self esteem issues hit the current generation of children. So much social pressure.